Ninja Pendisk (usb infection protection)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Island Boy

Ninja Pendisk (usb infection protection)

#1 Post by Island Boy »

Publisher's Description

Ninja is the freeware zero-configuration program designed for guarding computers against viruses transmitted by USB pendisks.

This ninja awaits quietly in the system tray for the times whenever a USB pendisk is inserted on the computer which will be examined to uncover the commonly malicious or virulent files known as "autorun.inf" and "ctfmon.exe" amongst many others.

To keep things simple, ninja is fully portable, self-contained and requires no installation.

Besides removing known virulent files, this tool will also immunize your pendisk and create a folder called autorun.inf with special protection permissions to protect your pendisk from being infected again when plugged on contaminated computers.
http://nunobrito.eu/ninja/
http://nunobrito.eu/ninja/ninja.exe

Gramdma might like it.

Island Boy

#2 Post by Island Boy »

WTF?

Strange.

Why did a Ninja folder form in the Program Files folder.

Nuno Brito

#3 Post by Nuno Brito »

Hi,

Ninja places itself on the programs folder because you selected the option "Add to startup".

Imagine this case:

You want to install ninja on the computer of your friend - you carry it inside a pendisk, double click on ninja, select that option and it's installed.

No more fuzz or need for manually creating shortcuts or anything else.

:)

Island Boy

Ninja

#4 Post by Island Boy »

Nuno Brito, The app writer himself.

Thanks for the answer.

er.....ever tried "USB FireWall"?

Publisher's Description
USB FireWall is an application which protects you from all malevolent programs which try to launch itself as soon as a peripheral USB is inserted. It will inform you if ever such a program is in one of your peripherals USB. You can remove the malevolent file and the file autorun.inf which launches it with the “Delete” button.

As soon as USB FireWall is launching, it works in the background task, its window is posted only when one program tries to launch out automatically since a peripheral USB.

USB FireWall is freeware and its functionality is limited, if ever the malevolent program is already present in your system, it tries to stop it but a patch or an Antivirus program is adapted much more to this kind of problem.

USB FireWall is ahead-first with Windows Optimum which makes much more than to stop or remove a file or to kill a program.

USB FireWall can also clean all your partitions for autolaunched Application from partition by deleting autorun file and its application pointed to.
http://www.net-studio.org/application/usb_firewall.php
http://net-studio.us/Software/USB_FW.exe
http://www.net-studio.org/software/USB_FW.exe

Nuno Brito

#5 Post by Nuno Brito »

No I had never heard of it but ninja has features nowhere to be found on similar apps.

Ninja can:

- Self update from the internet
- Support several languages
- Disable the autorun feature inside windows without need for registry tweaks
- Portable (two files) with Auto-Install option (the Add to Startup you've mentioned)
- Uses a database that anyone can change to add more files or their custom settings (ninja.txt)
- Integrates LAN chat to talk with other ninjas across the local network
- Has few buttons or dialogs making it very simple to use.

-----

It was coded with the intention to be installed on the machines at the place where I work and on my friend's computer because this sort of tool really became needed to stop USB based viruses from propagating.

It's still not as good as I'd like it to be because there are still many details that can be improved but so far it has already helped many people where I live.

ashghost

#6 Post by ashghost »

Nuno,

If you haven't done it yet, check out USB Firewall. Since that's not portable, I would use Ninja if only it would let me see what's in the autorun.inf before I immunize, like USB Firewall seems to do.

I know it's a little silly, but I like my autorun.inf file for setting the drive label and icon and offering to run PStart (if I plug it into a machine with autorun enabled).

Cheers,
Joe

Kea

#7 Post by Kea »

Nuno Brito wrote: It was coded with the intention to be installed on the machines at the place where I work and on my friend's computer because this sort of tool really became needed to stop USB based viruses from propagating.
On one USB stick I have the following autorun.inf:

[autorun]
open=PStart.exe
action=Run PStart Program
icon=PStart.exe
label=CORSAIR GT

Ninja tries to immunize it, but PStart.exe starts before I even have a chance to click the Immunize button (the same goes for USB Firewall).

Then I have a question: Is it possible to stop the execution of the autorun.inf until Ninja is ready? OK, Pstart is harmless, but...

Island Boy

The "Shift" key.

#8 Post by Island Boy »

Kea, Holding down the "Shift" key when one plugin the usb drive will stop auto runs. (Pstart will never harm you again)

Kea

#9 Post by Kea »

Some background:

The possibility to autostart an autorun.inf from the USB device is very convenient, if you work on several computers and on a daily basis have to synchronize files, say data bases, between the computers. That simple fact leads many to use programs like APO USB Autorun regardless, or totally unaware, of the very obvious risks.

APO USB Autorun starts the autorun.inf, even if you block all autostarts from USB devices in the registry. And it starts the autorun.inf even if you press and hold the Shift key.

Since I am very interested in security issues on computers, I am looking for a method to allow the autorun.inf to run if one connect one's own USB flashdrive, and prevent it if someone else is connecting his USB device.

That is why I was trying Ninja, and Ninja could not do the trick. OK, a windows pops up asking me if I want to immunize the autorun.inf file on the USB device, but before I have a chance to do anything at all the autorun.inf is executed.

Normally I don't have APO USB Autorun running on my computer; I am just testing it. For that purpose my son wrote a little application and put it on a USB stick, together with an autorun.inf. When he plugged it into my computer, it copied my WAB file (which btw is empty, since I regard it as a security risk) to the USB stick.

Sweden, where I live, is a very open society and people generally trust each other. Our local bank office have their computers on the counter, with the back of the computers turned towards the customers. And every computer has two empty USB ports - very easily accessible for the customers...

Island Boy

#10 Post by Island Boy »

Ninja Pendisk! puts an “autorun.inf” FOLDER on the drive for ALL Flash Drive plugged in to the PC.

As for hiding the “autorun.inf” FOLDER, create a .txt file containing this line:

attrib +s +h %1

Rename .txt file to "hide.bat"

then simply drag any files you want hiding onto it.
This will add the system attribute so they will be invisible. (unless you turn off "Hide protected operating system files" in Folder options)

If a PC has viruses, the “autorun.inf” FOLDER will become visible.(handy)

donald

island boy what will reverse hide.bat ...

#11 Post by donald »

island boy what will reverse hide.bat so
that the file is not Read Only anymore

I cant seem to reverse this

M@tty

Re: island boy what will reverse hide.bat ...

#12 Post by M@tty »

donald wrote:island boy what will reverse hide.bat so
that the file is not Read Only anymore
To make a batch script that will cause a file to lose read-only attributes is the following:

Code: Select all

attrib -r %1
However, this is not the same as reversing the previous operation. This is the appropriate code:

attrib -s -h %1

Island Boy

#13 Post by Island Boy »

use 7-zip portable to easily see hidden files & folders, than drag folder (or files) to m@tty's unhide.bat file.

attrib -s -h %1