Making an application portable using a script/code

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
prateek_patrick

Making an application portable using a script/code

#1 Post by prateek_patrick »

Hey People
I'm stuck with the task of making a word-processor such as notepad++ or Abiword into its portable version(s).
The main problem is that i need to do this using a script or a code without much help of already existing software for making portable applications. i can use the data such as registry entries and file/folder changes from softwares but nothing beyond is preferrable. i found the software called total uninstall pretty useful for these 2 tasks and i succesfully recorded the file/folder changes and system folder changes and registry changes. , what im stuck with is how to proceed with script/programming part. The have an option to make it portable for windows or Fedora but fedora would be preferrable as it is installed on most machines here and i beacuse i can use gcc and unix coding in it. Any other method, addtitions to this, links,help in any manner,tutorials, anything will be appreciable..
thanks
regards

m^(2)

Re: Making an application portable using a script/code

#2 Post by m^(2) »

The main problem is that i need to do this using a script or a code without much help of already existing software for making portable applications
Why?

1 thread below the current one is a thing you may be interested in:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=6&t=7493

prateek_patrick

#3 Post by prateek_patrick »

cuz its like my Project kind of thing in which i chose to do it this way as simply showing a bunch of software doing all the things in the evaluation will do me little good as it then shows that ive actually put very very little into it which i dont want :S

seen this . i dont know if this is useful to me or not :S but mostly i think it is not.
further help will b appreciated :S
cheers

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

Oh, understand. I was sure there was some guide in here but apparently I was wrong...
I'm not rushing to write one, but general scheme goes like this (at least for Windows):
1. Identify sources of non-portability
-registry entries
-settings / data files stored in the system
-software dependencies
-drivers, services etc. needed to work. (probably not a problem for you)
2. Do either of the following:
-Write a launcher, which acts as a silent installer and uninstaller (PortableApps.com, X-Software, ...)
-Write a launcher which virtualizes some aspects of the system (JauntePE, Thinstall, Mojopac, ...)
-Modify source code of the application to store settings in application folder etc.

Ad 1. SandboxIE is commonly used to watch what app does. Never used Totall Uninstaller, but it might be good too. Important: In order to spot dependencies you have to run on a clean installation of operating systems that you want to support (usually the oldest one is enough ;)). And do not test what happens during installation only. Play with application, open all possible menus and dialogs, click everywhere, try to find all possible ways of using it 'cause it may do some non-portable stuff then, you won't find it unless you do it.

Since both of the apps that you consider are open source, you can exploit it. Searching the code for file / registry operations and seeing whether they cause problems might be more efficient and if you do it well, it's more reliable too.

Ad 2. You said you want to write a launcher, but I recommend that you consider sources modification too. It works better and if you'll manage to convince app makers to include your patch to their official distro, it's a great win. Otherwise, maintenance and need for recompilation with each update of source app is not worth it IMO, so I'd recommend going the launcher way.

BTW, IIRC N++ is portable by itself.