8start Launcher 1.4

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
usdcs

#16 Post by usdcs »

I have version 1.3.1 of Universal Extractor on my system. It used 7-Zip to extract the files and sure enough, the folders and files that Andrew mentioned were not there.

Plus, they aren't there when I open the file with 7-Zip. Yet, when I install 8Start Launcher, they appear!

[EDIT]

Ok. Here's what I found.

1. The folders are missing in the archive.

2. The .nsi script creates the destination folder and copies the file(s):

Code: Select all

SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  70%
File back.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  80%
File back.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  90%
File back.png
But, because there is no "Opacity 80%" folder in the archive, it copies the back.png from the parent folder. You can see this by comparing the file dates and times.

3. A similar situation occurs with the "Group White" folder and the group.png file:

SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group Pink
File group.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group White
File group.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group Yellow
File group.png
Conclusion: It is an archive/script problem not a Universal Extractor problem.

Regards,
Dan

Andy Goh

#17 Post by Andy Goh »

usdcs wrote:I have version 1.3.1 of Universal Extractor on my system. It used 7-Zip to extract the files and sure enough, the folders and files that Andrew mentioned were not there.

Plus, they aren't there when I open the file with 7-Zip. Yet, when I install 8Start Launcher, they appear!

[EDIT]

Ok. Here's what I found.

1. The folders are missing in the archive.

2. The .nsi script creates the destination folder and copies the file(s):

SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  70%
File back.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  80%
File back.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  90%
File back.png
But, because there is no "Opacity 80%" folder in the archive, it copies the back.png from the parent folder. You can see this by comparing the file dates and times.

3. A similar situation occurs with the "Group White" folder and the group.png file:

SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group Pink
File group.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group White
File group.png
SetOutPath $_OUTDIR\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group Yellow
File group.png
Conclusion: It is an archive/script problem not a Universal Extractor problem.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for your finding, I found the same problem also when using Universal Extractor to extract it. Some of the skin files are missing after extract by using Univeral Extractor. I checked my .nsi files and still not able to find where is the mistake. I will look into it as it is quite a strange issue. Don't worry to use 8start Launcher setup file and install directly to your flash drive. No Windows Registry will be created, Nothing will be write in your hardisk if you untick start menu and desktop during installation. (You can refer to the installation instruction in portablefreeware.com or help in 8start.com for more portable installation methods)

usdcs

#18 Post by usdcs »

Hi Andy,

I see that you now have a ZIP file for download. In the installer archive, I don't believe that you had a ..\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity 80% folder nor a ..\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group White folder with their respective files in the folders.

Your .nsi file looks right to me. But, when it doesn't have those folders to copy from, it creates them and copies the files from the Skin folder.

But, Universal Extracter could only extract what you had in the archive. If you add the folders and files then everything will be OK, I believe.

Regards,
Dan

Andy Goh

#19 Post by Andy Goh »

usdcs wrote:Hi Andy,

I see that you now have a ZIP file for download. In the installer archive, I don't believe that you had a ..\Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity 80% folder nor a ..\Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group White folder with their respective files in the folders.

Your .nsi file looks right to me. But, when it doesn't have those folders to copy from, it creates them and copies the files from the Skin folder.

But, Universal Extracter could only extract what you had in the archive. If you add the folders and files then everything will be OK, I believe.

Regards,
Dan
Hi Dan,

I am confirm that I have all files in the skin folder before I create the setup file for 8start Launcher. I have try using NSIS to create the setup file with other compression method but still having the same problem. It is very strange as I don't know what is going wrong why Universal Exracter can't see all the files.
In my download page, I change back to use the .exe setup for users to download. As this is the most easlier method for user to install 8start Launcher.
I have a zip download in the 8start.com help page http://www.8start.com/help.htm. This is the easiler method if you want to copy and paste 8start Launcher to your flash drive without installation.

Fluffy

#20 Post by Fluffy »

Woohoo! Good old zipfiles. Do you mind if we point TPFC download link directly to the .ZIP?

Andy Goh

#21 Post by Andy Goh »

Fluffy wrote:Woohoo! Good old zipfiles. Do you mind if we point TPFC download link directly to the .ZIP?
Yes, you can point directly to the .zip file :D

Fluffy

#22 Post by Fluffy »

Entry updated, thanks a bundle.

bugmenot

For enhanced portability...

#23 Post by bugmenot »

Hi
I checked 8start and it looks really nice and promising, but I miss a feature that is essential for some portable users: in "Command line parameters", 8start should provide a way to specify a path which includes the current portable drive letter (useful to specify .ini files for some programs, for example), such as PStart provides in the form of %pdrive% variable.

Since an image is worth 1000 words, see screenshot of Pstart properties, with PopPeeper as an example:
Keep up the good work!

bugmenot

Bug: appears on backgroung when invoked by middle button

#24 Post by bugmenot »

Hi
Since I didn't find a forum link in 8start homepage, I guess this is the most suitable place to notify these bugs to developer...
Please direct me to appropriate location if this is not true...

When invoking 8start with middle mouse button, 8start remains behind the current window. The invoking feature works OK, because if I minimize the current window, I see 8start is right in the place where I middle-clicked. I tried in Firefox, Windows Explorer
Developer should make sure 8start appears ON TOP of other windows.

I just notice this happens only when invoking 8start withtout previously hiding it. Steps to reproduce:
1) Invoke 8start
2) Without clicking "HIDE" switch to another window, such as Windows Explorer (8start is in the background)
3) Invoke 8start by middle click.
Result: 8start is placed behind the active window
Expected result: 8start should appear on the foreground

Andy Goh

Re: For enhanced portability...

#25 Post by Andy Goh »

bugmenot wrote:Hi
I checked 8start and it looks really nice and promising, but I miss a feature that is essential for some portable users: in "Command line parameters", 8start should provide a way to specify a path which includes the current portable drive letter (useful to specify .ini files for some programs, for example), such as PStart provides in the form of %pdrive% variable.

Since an image is worth 1000 words, see screenshot of Pstart properties, with PopPeeper as an example:
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your suggestion and sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is very useful to include the current portable drive letter in command line parameter. I will add in this feature in 8start Launcher. Your suggestion will make 8start Launcher better.

Andy Goh

Re: Bug: appears on backgroung when invoked by middle button

#26 Post by Andy Goh »

bugmenot wrote:Hi
Since I didn't find a forum link in 8start homepage, I guess this is the most suitable place to notify these bugs to developer...
Please direct me to appropriate location if this is not true...

When invoking 8start with middle mouse button, 8start remains behind the current window. The invoking feature works OK, because if I minimize the current window, I see 8start is right in the place where I middle-clicked. I tried in Firefox, Windows Explorer
Developer should make sure 8start appears ON TOP of other windows.

I just notice this happens only when invoking 8start withtout previously hiding it. Steps to reproduce:
1) Invoke 8start
2) Without clicking "HIDE" switch to another window, such as Windows Explorer (8start is in the background)
3) Invoke 8start by middle click.
Result: 8start is placed behind the active window
Expected result: 8start should appear on the foreground
Again thanks for your finding. Yes, you can post any help request here, I check this site frequently and would like to help in solving the problem.
I tried the steps above in my computer but I can't get the result you mentioned. Do you configure middle mouse by single click or double click? Is anybody here encounter same problem? if yes please provide more information to reproduce the bug mentioned, so I can test and fix it.

bugmenot

#27 Post by bugmenot »

Andy Goh wrote: I tried the steps above in my computer but I can't get the result you mentioned. Do you configure middle mouse by single click or double click? Is anybody here encounter same problem? if yes please provide more information to reproduce the bug mentioned, so I can test and fix it.
Hi Andy
My middle click setting is to "double click" (or keep it pressed).
I forgot to add in my previous post: I'm using WINDOWS 2000 SP4
Just in case it's relevant, I used the zipped version of 8start in a portable drive (as opposed to the installer)

Andy Goh

#28 Post by Andy Goh »

bugmenot wrote:
Andy Goh wrote: I tried the steps above in my computer but I can't get the result you mentioned. Do you configure middle mouse by single click or double click? Is anybody here encounter same problem? if yes please provide more information to reproduce the bug mentioned, so I can test and fix it.
Hi Andy
My middle click setting is to "double click" (or keep it pressed).
I forgot to add in my previous post: I'm using WINDOWS 2000 SP4
Just in case it's relevant, I used the zipped version of 8start in a portable drive (as opposed to the installer)
I am using Windows XP, I need to find a windows 2000 machine to test it. Anybody here using windows 2000, can help to test? Thanks

Darkbee

#29 Post by Darkbee »

Out of curiosity (and this is open to everyone, not just the author), what is 'average' resource usage (mainly concerned with RAM) compared with, oh I dunno let's pick a launcher application at random like ToolBox?

I was surprised to see that PStart uses quite a bit of RAM (9MB in my case, with about 50 applications I think) for primarily text based menus so I'm naturally more suspicious of these fancy icon-filled transparent desktop-container type applications. However, I have to concede that they do look nice and are better for less technical users like the entire rest of my family.

Andy Goh

#30 Post by Andy Goh »

Darkbee wrote:Out of curiosity (and this is open to everyone, not just the author), what is 'average' resource usage (mainly concerned with RAM) compared with, oh I dunno let's pick a launcher application at random like ToolBox?

I was surprised to see that PStart uses quite a bit of RAM (9MB in my case, with about 50 applications I think) for primarily text based menus so I'm naturally more suspicious of these fancy icon-filled transparent desktop-container type applications. However, I have to concede that they do look nice and are better for less technical users like the entire rest of my family.
8start Launcher use 10+mb ram, and the cpu usage is mostly zero. (only when click 8start Launcher, it will use some cpu resource, if not it always use zero cpu resource) :-)