ThinLoader: easily run any program on a Thinstall sandbox

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Enormator

#31 Post by Enormator »

omfg I hate this licensing crap...

However I posted a link to this thread in the Safari portable thread

Local

#32 Post by Local »

Unless iamzenitraM happens to have some full license (ThinLoader's license reads as ''Internal development license'' so I presume it's not legitimate), I imagine TPFC won't be hosting any ThinLoader-Thinstalled programs.
Yup, this is an illegal copy.
I wouldn't advertise it too much.
really good idea for a program though how does it compare to Mojopac and the suchlike?

Enormator

#33 Post by Enormator »

I just found out, that this thinstall stuff doesn't work on Vista. It seems as if he couldn't create an openfile dialog and so he always says "no file selected" :roll:
vista sucks

andyxl987

#34 Post by andyxl987 »

This is a really nice idea for a program so congrats :). Regarding the internal development license issues; recently Thinstall has been bought out by VMWare and they are rebranding the software as North Star. VMWare are offering a download of the Beta over at:
http://www.vmware.com/beta/northstar/

I'm not sure if they manually authenticate registrants or automatically approve everyone, but might be worth a shot!

Also regarding a file explorer, how about something like this freeware app? ExplorerXP.

pipetman

#35 Post by pipetman »

Just downloaded that beta and was already getting giddy with excitement about the prospect to have Thinstall at my disposal, when I noticed, that the software will expire in June 2008

Ameri-CAIN

#36 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

The executables that you make with it should still be OK after that, you just won't be able to make new thinstalled apps with the program after it expires.

deadman

#37 Post by deadman »

After installing the Northstar beta, it looks like it has a notice for the expiration popup in the corner when starting a thinstalled (or north-starred) app. Idk much about coding and how they do what they do, but I imagine they have a timer built in. =/

pipetman

#38 Post by pipetman »

@Ameri-CAIN: That's what I thought, when I previously requested and received a Thinstall demo. I diligently built plenty of portable apps only to see them locked, when the 30-day demo expired...

m^(2)

#39 Post by m^(2) »

Got one idea. If you included .NET, this app would be much more flexible. (Don't know if MS will allow you to do this, if not, maybe mono?)

spaztastic

#40 Post by spaztastic »

Not sure how you would go about asking Microsoft if you could package it with .NET but it's worth a try. The app is very nice, but I think I'll stick with my cracked version of Thinstall until North Star is released as a stable version. I am able to make any app portable by creating a single executable from the program and a folder in the same directory as the executable that acts as the sandbox. The folder contains any and all settings, registry entries, etc. Works very well for me and I have yet to have any issues.

iaf0154myo

#41 Post by iaf0154myo »

Queue wrote:Explorer.exe unfortunately doesn't seem to get snagged by Thinstall properly.
Explorer is usually configured so when you start a new instance, it really just opens a new window from an existing running version. So you'd have to kill that Explorer (the one that shows up as the task bar) and launch a new Explorer from within the thinloader environment.

This is really outstanding. :-)

Any chance we could have the Thinstall project settings used to create this, in case we want to try it ourselves?

Phobos

#42 Post by Phobos »

this is a great idea!

have there been any update/work around about Vista's open files dialog?

Phobos

#43 Post by Phobos »

well, since there were no answers, I proceeded to recompile the little script on autoit and then thinstalling it with almost the same configuration as described here, but under the northstar beta.... and since it does work in vista (albeit the bug with the slow time opening the dialog the first time it is run), I will put a link to it here in case someone else would like to try it too (hope that someone will do it again using the full version of northstar after the beta expires): http://www.mediafire.com/?dmlwjyvtgty

Tempus3

#44 Post by Tempus3 »

I had a chance to try out your version of Thinloader. It's pretty sweet. Any chance you might post the auto-it script you used?

BTW - First post

Phobos

#45 Post by Phobos »

I used the same script that was put on the first post and most of the default configuration for Package.ini, except that using "CompressionType=Fast" and changing the sandbox location to the same place as the executable (just as previously done by the original author) hehe