Daphne - Task manager replacement

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
drk.com.ar

Daphne - Task manager replacement

#1 Post by drk.com.ar »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Daphne thread. View database entry]

----

Daphne is an open source Windows task manager replacement.

Daphne is a small (system tray) application for killing, controlling and debugging Windows' processes. It was born to kill a windows process and became almost a task manager replacement. You can kill a process by dragging the mouse over the windows, by right-clicking the process in the main process list, or by typing its name with the "Kill all by name" command. You can set a any window to be always on top, to be transparent, to be enable, et cetera.

Although Daphne was born just to kill windows process. You can think of Daphne as a task manager replacement. The main window displays a list of currently running process with detailed information about: CPU usage, Process ID, Process name, Full path (and arguments), Priority, Class (Process / Service), Current memory usage, Peek memory usage, Current swap usage, Peek swap usage and Number of threads.

Download:

1.44 -> http://portableapps.com/node/21064
1.37 -> http://portableapps.com/node/13471

Home: http://www.drk.com.ar/daphne.php

donald

Re: Daphne - Task manager replacement

#2 Post by donald »

I have never used this application but I found the applications homepage has even more information than the previous post mentions they are found in the Note, and Features for Daphne v1.45
Daphne's homepage wrote:NOTE:* Windows XP and Vista users may have to add "Debug programs" privilege to their accounts in order to see full process list.
Features: * Enhanced (experimental) multidesktop feature: use up to four windows desktops using WindowsKey + F5 to F8.
* Installed software list for inspecting installed software available in tray icon menu. Installed software
* Check process hierarchy tree using the "Show process tree" at tray icon menu. Process tree
* Parent process name an PID at process' properties.
* Now you can make configuration portable using INI file instead of registry base configuration.
* Support for DRK's process data base information search and contribution.
* Hide application tool: drop the target over the application's window you want to hide. Later, you can restore the application from Daphne menu.
* Take care: process names may be eclipsed by malicious software.
* Find process window tool: identify the process which owns the targeted window.
* Traps: you can set up traps to be applied to any process being created.
* Detailed process list, including full path and arguments.
* Per process detail including: Windows tree, thread list, modules, enviroment variables.
* Using the windows tree you can: Show, hide, set always on top on or off, set focus, et cetera to any give window.
* Kill all by name: Kill all process using a given name.
* Kill menu: Customizable menu, each menu item has a process list to kill upon activation.
* Process list highlighting with colors for custom, system and high CPU-consumption processes.
* Control inspector window for revealing hidden passwords.
* Drag and drop tool for killing, setting alpha, enabling controls and putting windows always on top.
* "Hide Java VM from command line" option in advanced tab makes Daphne strip the path to the default Java VM in full path mode.
* Internationalization: Spanish, Italian, German, French, Chinese, Valencian, Polish, Russian, Portuguese and Japanese support.
I find the notes on java and the multidesktop feature intriguing.

I may have to try the portable version to see if this application is as good as it sounds.

drk.com.ar

#3 Post by drk.com.ar »

Multidesktop

Multidesktop feature let's you start up up to three extra desktop. Each desktop has it's own windows (applications) just like Linux multidesktop environment. You can switch between desktops using functions key from F5 to F8 combined with Windows key. You can't move an application from a desktop to the other. You have to stop the application and start it again over a new desktop. Useful when working with different sets of applications for different tasks.

Hide Java VM

Tries to remove the leading java vm path from a command line like this:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar"

Translating it to:

-jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar"

Making the relevant information more visible.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Updated to v1.50...
http://www.drk.com.ar/daphne.php wrote:New in Daphne v1.50:

Fixed missing DLLs in setup packages
Restored command line client (DC)
Added information to main window (process count, login, cpus)
Fixed environment sniffer in 64 bits version.
Added feature usage statistics report.
Previous version from Portableapps.com @ http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/daphne_portable

lautrepay

#5 Post by lautrepay »

Daphne is natively portable.

Download the zip package and extract. Create a Daphne.ini file in the app folder. Launch Daphne.exe.

If you get errors due to missing DLL files, download the installer, uniextract and copy all files from the $SMPROGRAMS\Daphne folder to the application folder.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Cool. 8)

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Very impressed with this program. Will definitely add to the database when I get a free day.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Evidently that day was today...

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2316

Entry may need a little work before it goes live. On my system I had to use the setup UniExtract method, so that's what I published.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Thanks, webfork. I thinks it's a worthy entry...

lautrepay

#10 Post by lautrepay »

Thanks for adding Daphne, webfork.
I've modified the entry a little bit to include virtual desktops as an additional feature and to remove the reference to winPenPack, since they don't have their own wrappered version of the program (although is not an X-Software, they list Daphne in the News section as they do with many other natively portable apps).

lautrepay

#11 Post by lautrepay »

Daphne is at v.1.51.
Entry updated.
Changelog:
*Get list of processes which have a file locked. (Windows Explorer integration)
*Restored Windows explorer integration, context menu. (Windows Vista or above)
*Works under Windows XP again.
*Fixed environment sniffer in 32 bits version.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

As I've been using it to handle my "too many processes" issue, I've had a lot of time with the program, so have some notes:
  • Really needs a help file. I'm aware this means I should probably volunteer to make one.
  • Has a single nag screen that tells you your computer has been on a very long time and you should turn it off to help combat climate change, and asks if you want more info, pointing to the European commission on climate change: http://ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/campaign/index.htm
  • Today spent a LOT of time at 40% processor usage. I don't know what that was about or what it was doing.