Windows File Analyzer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Windows File Analyzer

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Windows File Analyzer decodes and analyzes some special files used by Windows OS:

Windows XP Thumbnail Database Analyzer - This analyzer reads Thumbs.db file and displays its content with stored data include image preview.

ACDSee Thumbnail Database Analyzer - This analyzer reads ACDSee *.fpt file and displays its content with stored data include image preview.

Google Picasa Thumbnail Database Analyzer - This analyzer reads Picasa *.db file and displays its content with stored data include image preview.

FastStone Viewer Thumbnail Database Analyzer - This analyzer reads fsviewer.db file and displays its content with stored data include image preview.

HP Digital Imaging Thumbnail Database Analyzer - This analyzer reads *.db or *.dat file and displays its content with stored data include image preview.

Prefetch Analyzer - It reads files stored usually in Prefetch folder and diggs out stored informaton.

Shortcut Analyzer - This tool reads all shortcut files in specified folder and displays data stored in them.

Index.DAT Analyzer - This analyzer reads specified Index.Dat file and displays its content. Index.Dat files store usually data of Internet Explorer cookies, temporary files or history.

Recycle Bin Analyzer - This analyzer decodes and displays Info2 files that hold recycle bin content information.
http://www.mitec.cz/wfa.html

Dl @ http://www.mitec.cz/Downloads/WFA.zip

Seem to be portable but I could not test all the analyzers.
Last edited by I am Baas on Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: Windows File Analyzer V2.5.0

#2 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Windows File Analyzer decodes and analyzes some special files used by Windows OS
Its not often you find freeware forensic tools. Good add.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

V2.6 is available.

Tested: Portable

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Thank you, guinness.

I don't use ACDSee, Picasa, HP Digital Imaging. Could not test WFA completely.

allclownsareevil

#5 Post by allclownsareevil »

I am Baas wrote:Thank you, guinness.

I don't use ACDSee, Picasa, HP Digital Imaging. Could not test WFA completely.
Up until version 2.5 it couldn't decode the thumbnail files but that issue has been partially resolved in the 2.6 version .... however it still has issues sometimes when decoding large thumbnail caches. Still makes it worthy of adding to my portable collection though. Thanks for the heads up regarding the new version.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Posted: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2298

I dunno about the category, but for right now I just wanted to get it live. If someone has an idea where else it belongs, feel free to add.

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

@webfork
Thank you for adding WFA. I think we need to add another category... Forensic Tools.

Btw, the "Recycle Bin Analyzer" tool does not work on Vista and Win 7 machines. Here's a good read/explanation:
Recycle Bin Forensics in Windows 7 and Vista

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Thank you for adding WFA. I think we need to add another category... Forensic Tools.
Sure thing ... would any other programs go in there or just this one?
I am Baas wrote:Btw, the "Recycle Bin Analyzer" tool does not work on Vista and Win 7 machines. Here's a good read/explanation:
Recycle Bin Forensics in Windows 7 and Vista
Cool, updated.

And yes -- security and privacy category ... of course. Good add.

I am Baas

Re: Windows File Analyzer

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Windows File Analyzer version 2.6.4 released (14.5.2016)
Visual fixes.
http://www.mitec.cz/wfa.html