XMPlay - audio player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Darkbee

XMPlay - audio player

#1 Post by Darkbee »

[Moderator note: this is the primary XMPlay program thread. View database entry]

----

XM play skin changes

Has anyone else had an issue with XMplay resetting to the default skin when using the program from computer to computer? All other settings seem to be fine and retained across computers but for some reason each time I use a different computer, from the previous time, the skin returns to the default.

Any ideas?

JawKnee

#2 Post by JawKnee »

I don't have multiple computers available to test it fully, but I just moved my XMplayer around to different directories and drives on the one computer I have... the skin was never reverted to the original.

I store my .xmpskin files in a folder named "skins" within the xmplay directory. if yours are elsewhere, you could give that a try.

Ashes for Tears

#3 Post by Ashes for Tears »

~sigh~ Yeah, I had this problem too, and I had JawKnee's same setup. It appears that XMPlay does not support relative paths. I did everything with regshot and company, looked in the usual places for settings trouble, and even redownloaded, when it finally hit me: check the settings file in the folder (the .ini).

Whenever I change it to a relative path (i.e. '.\Folder\File.ext', or ''\Foldetr\File.ext'), XMPlay dosen't see it. But when I adjust for the current drive letter, it works just fine.

I'll drop a note to the author later tonight, and see what happens...

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Ah, that would explain why it only seemed to do it some of the time, since I might get lucky and get assigned the same drive letter. That would also explain why JawKnee never had any problems since the drive letter remained constant.

Hopefully the developers can resolve the issue.

[edit] Just for laughs I changed my portable drive letter and rebooted my machine. Hey Presto, XMPlay was thrown into turmoil and restored the default skin. I think this is fairly conclusive. Thanks Ashes For Tears for solving the mystery.[/edit]

stacoma

XMPlay updated to 3.3.0.6

#5 Post by stacoma »

XMPlay updated to 3.3.0.6

From http://support.xmplay.com/file_comment.php?id=535

"[The update] includes a playlist file (PLS/etc) related security fix. So, although pretty unlikely to be exploited, it's a good idea to upgrade. As well as that, there are a few new features, including per-extension saved settings and CD support for restricted/limited Win2k/XP users."

Fluffy

#6 Post by Fluffy »

Entry updated, thanks for the head's up.

LPChip

#7 Post by LPChip »

I didn't find a mention of this, so I decided to post an update.

XMPlay currently is at build 3.4.2.1.

The newest version can be found by going here: http://support.xmplay.com/file.php?cat_id=7 (will show all versions, so if a newer comes, it will automatically show that one. :))

AlephX

#8 Post by AlephX »

Thanks, database updated

the_watcher

XMPlay - audio player

#9 Post by the_watcher »

XMPlay 3.5 released
Adds crossfading, AIFF support, track rating, some track searching enhancements, some Replaygain enhancements, and a bunch of other stuff. See the "readme" for a full list.

I've tried to add it to the database. I couldn't find out how to add the "what's new" section though...
Last edited by Midas on Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redundant moderator note removed.

guinness

Re: XMPlay v3.5

#10 Post by guinness »

It was already in the database http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=567. Because of your user level you can only edit an entry after 50 posts or more. Therefore adding an update in this forum will make sure that those who have access will edit the entry on your behalf.

I would have overwritten your new entry with IdleBackup, but there is an error with the Edit function.
Note: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1603 is a duplicate entry.

the_watcher

Re: XMPlay v3.5

#11 Post by the_watcher »

and i can't delete it, too...

i realised something was wrong, but now that i know i don't have the rights to edit yet, i'll be more careful...

thank you , guinness

JohnTHaller

Suggestion: Switch XMPlay listing to XMPlay Portable

#12 Post by JohnTHaller »

XMPlay is in the database here at PFC, but it's not really a portable app. The library (arguably one of the biggest features) and the default playlist break as you move PCs since they both used full paths and the drive letters change. This greatly reduces the functionality of XMPlay.

We just released XMPlay Portable at PortableApps.com with permission from unforeseen developments. XMPlay Portable automatically updates the paths in the library and default playlist so your music collection keeps working as you move around. I think this makes XMPlay Portable a better option for nearly all users but as it's our own software, I didn't want to go swapping the listing myself (possible conflict of interest appearances and all). Thoughts?
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

Re: Suggestion: Switch XMPlay listing to XMPlay Portable

#13 Post by guinness »

Well, personally I am happy with it if the initial submitter is kept as the same. Also, I appreciate that you sought after the opinion of TPFC's opinion!

JohnTHaller

#14 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:Well, personally I am happy with it if the initial submitter is kept as the same.
Of course. It's still the same app, just an updated version with more functionality. I believe XMPlay didn't originally have a library, so this didn't use to be an issue (though you'd still lose your default playlist as you moved).
guinness wrote:Also, I appreciate that you sought after the opinion of TPFC's opinion!
Yeah, I did the same with VLC when we switched that over to VLC Portable. I respect that PFC has a different threshold for considering an app portable than PortableApps.com and don't want to step on any toes :)
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

I am with guinness on this. But you could always add a note in the description bit about the PortableApps alternative. See Miranda IM for an example.