World Clock for PC and Mac

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Lyon11111

World Clock for PC and Mac

#1 Post by Lyon11111 »

Free, Portable World Clock for PC and Mac
Web page: http://flash-clocks.com/world-clock.html

I would like for you to publish my free, portable world clock for PC and Mac on your site. My world clock took many months of development, and it works great.

My world clock is completely portable, so it would be a great addition to your database. All versions need internet connection to download the updated time zones database, and this is the only way to provide updated time zones settings to the users.

The version for Adobe AIR that is available on the above web page is not portable though, but is also free.

The version 6 will be out soon, which will be even greater.
Last edited by Lyon11111 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyon11111

temp1

#2 Post by Lyon11111 »

Hi,

I submitted an app (world clock) some days ago. Is that a problem with it?

Please reply.

Userfriendly

Re: Free, Portable World Clock for PC and Mac

#3 Post by Userfriendly »

Its an Adobe Flash program? I don't think that's allowed here.

SYSTEM

Re: How to check before posting your submissions

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

Lyon11111 wrote:Hi,

I submitted an app (world clock) some days ago. Is that a problem with it?

Please reply.
No, there isn't. :)

First, because of spam the first post of every user needs to be approved by a moderator. I see your post was approved just a moment ago (or probably the other users created so many posts in the meantime that your post was dropped from the forum's RSS feed before it wasn't even shown). The facts that your post went into the approval queue and hardly anyone saw it are not your fault. :)

(For other people: Lyon11111's other post.)

Second, please don't hijack threads like this. It would have been better if you had replied to your earlier post instead. (@moderator: please move these two posts into that thread.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Lyon11111

#5 Post by Lyon11111 »

It is a portable desktop app created with adobe flash technology, but it is completely portable and self-sustained, so why would you not to want it here?!?

It does not need the user to have flash player installed, so no problem.

Besides, if the admin published it, he must have seen it is portable, for he must be an expert in such matter.

Userfriendly

#6 Post by Userfriendly »

Well its true that it runs fine on its own but the problem with flash programs is that it stores its settings in 'AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player' so its not truly portable. If I run it on a different computer I would have to re-add the timezone clocks and theme settings.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

A single executable application is not equivalent with a portable application by default! Settings must be portable, too!

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Lyon11111 wrote:I would like for you to publish my free, portable world clock for PC and Mac on your site. My world clock took many months of development, and it works great.
Thanks for posting -- I'm definitely interested in portable world clock programs (I use QLock daily).
Lyon11111 wrote: It is a portable desktop app created with adobe flash technology, but it is completely portable and self-sustained, so why would you not to want it here?
There's a color program here on the site that's Flash-based, so we are certainly not anti-Flash. The primary issue is what you already pointed out: reliance on already installed software (with the notable exception of dotNET due to popular demand). If yours doesn't have that requirement, we're happy to include it.

The other consideration is as Joby pointed out: where are settings saved?

On a side note, should you continue development on it, is there any chance you could add one of those world shadow overlays in future versions (like this: http://www.die.net/earth/)? That would be sweet.

webfork

Re: How to check before posting your submissions

#9 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Second, please don't hijack threads like this. It would have been better if you had replied to your earlier post instead. (@moderator: please move these two posts into that thread.)
It's no biggie -- merged threads.

webfork

Re: temp1

#10 Post by webfork »

Lyon11111 wrote:I submitted an app (world clock) some days ago. Is that a problem with it?

Please reply.
  • If you were referring to the fact that your first post had to be approved, SYSTEM's response is correct: we have a block for new users to help prevent spam.
  • If you were referring to the fact that you posted something in the Submission thread and it hasn't yet been added to the database: the reason is because this is a volunteer site that's managed democratically. Just because a program is great doesn't mean it gets accepted. Assuming it's self-contained with settings that go with the executable, it's also go to be something our users find interesting/useful, and then get voted on. This process is in place to encourage user input as well as take the burden off the site admin.
As we have very few world clock tools on the site, yours stands a good chance of being accepted into the database.

Lyon11111

#11 Post by Lyon11111 »

Hi, everyone.

Thanks for the explanation.

The world clock does save settings, and you have a point there. I will make it save the settings in the same folder in Version 6.

However, the world clock does not need the user to have flash player installed, because the compiled version already has a portable version included, for PC and Mac, and everything else to make it work.

As for shadows and stuff, I thought about creating a version with a graphical map, instead of a vector one (which is the one being used), but it takes a lot of CPU and Memory if not extremely optimized, unlike the vector one, which is very fast and takes low computer resources. When I finish this world clock, which needs more cities and a new time zone selection method and a few more things - which will be applied in V6 - I will start on that and do what you are requesting, yes.

Regards

JohnTHaller

#12 Post by JohnTHaller »

If you'd like to have the current version as a portable app now, we can assist you with it using the tools at PortableApps.com. The tools are free and 100% open source and it'll work with or without our platform.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Lyon11111

#13 Post by Lyon11111 »

Hi,

Yes, I would appreciate your help. Please do so.

Answer: The world clock saves the settings in a special folder provided by Adobe, however that is placed in cache, which can and will be deleted once the user deletes his adobe flash player's / adobe air's cache. For now, it is impossible to make it save to the folder where the world clock is stored, either on a disc or removable drive. Perhaps in the future. We are certainly going to ask Adobe for that feature very soon.

Lyon11111

#14 Post by Lyon11111 »

JohnTHaller, is it possible to make the world clock fully portable?

JohnTHaller

#15 Post by JohnTHaller »

Lyon11111 wrote:JohnTHaller, is it possible to make the world clock fully portable?
I'll send you a PM with the build a bit later today :)
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality