AutoVer - backup / versioning

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

AutoVer - backup / versioning

#1 Post by I am Baas »

[Moderator note:

[/note]

---
AutoVer is a configurable automatic or real time backup and personal versioning system. It can be used as a simple real time backup or as a more complex, but transparent version control system (like a realtime incremental backup). The beauty of this system is that once you set it up (which is extremely simple) it does everything. No remembering to backup or to check in or check out files. Every time you save a file it is copied to your backup folder, drive or FTP server. You can include and exclude certain files and browse the backups with the Backup Explorer.
http://beanland.net.au/AutoVer/

Settings ---> Change config location

Dl @ http://beanland.net.au/AutoVer/AutoVer-setup.exe and uniextract.

Not stealth. Leaves an AutoVer folder in %APPDATA%

webfork

Re: AutoVer

#2 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:
AutoVer is a configurable automatic or real time backup and personal versioning system.
Been looking for something like this. Great find.

webfork

Re: Some portable .NET apps

#3 Post by webfork »

AutoVer has really been working out. Very lucky Baas posted about that.

Wishlist: would love to see an optional status window at the bottom of the main window to let you know everytime a file is versioned (as well as other actions).

Update: Appears to add itself to the system startup even though I had that unchecked. :/

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Requirements

Documentation page indicates WinXP+ and dotNET 2.0

Usage Suggestions
  • In the "Advanced" tab, I didn't want to backup the program's existing backup tool (it creates a .bak file) so I added ;*.bak to the end of the existing file exclusions. So the full entry:

Code: Select all

*.tmp;~$*.doc;*.bak
  • Set the max file size to 5000 just in case some random huge file ends up in that folder, I didn't want it to slow my computer and fill up my hard drive.
  • Realizing I click "Save" quite a lot in the editor I'm using and I don't need each and every one of those edits, so I cut it back to "Max 1 version per 5 Mins". Note that you must select the radio button next to the hours/mins/secs blank or it will discard the changes. Just putting in a number isn't enough.
  • The time/date stamp doesn't need anymore and the format is hard to read so I used dashes between the date and time items and put an underscore between the two: So the setting "yyyy-MM-dd_HH-mm" now generates this for my index.html file:

Code: Select all

index.html.2013-01-20_13-21.html
  • The setting "Only copy content if changed" is checked to avoid backing up something that I've already got (for example if I change a file and then backup to a previous version a moment later).
  • Finally, I delete files after 60 days.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Autover 2.1.1 is out ... Keep meaning to add this one to the database
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Bac ... oVer.shtml

To upgrade: just copy over existing directory files and overwrite. Settings files are left unchanged.
http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... 69688.html

Unfortunately, despite a lot of good changes, there was also this note about an upcoming change:
Note: This is the last version built for .NET Framework 2.0. Future versions will be built for .NET 4.0

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

AutoVer update: v2.2.1
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Bac ... oVer.shtml

Changes:
April 28th, 2014

Added: Ability to send emails on error
Fixed: Reading of AutoVer.ini config file - particularly when running in portable mode
Fixed: Creation of folders on FTP
Fixed: Long file name support on source drive when copying to FTP
Fixed: Fixed bug in file and folder exclude filter
Change: If running outside of the Program File folder (portable mode), store config files locally if possible (otherwise use CommonApplicationData)
Fixed: If CommonApplicationData is not writable (using limit user) then use Roaming ApplicationData folder
Change: The "Ensuring Backup is Current" window shown when creating a new watcher is no longer Always on top - allowing other work to be done while long backups happen.
Little confused by the "portable mode" since it's already running portably. Also an additional note I didn't see before: writes log to ProgramData folder. Not a portability issue, but not stealth.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Some more usage notes ... I've been using this for about 6 months now and very happy. This is on my list to add to the database despite the dotNET 4.0 requirement; it's very solid.

Wishlist
  • Right now there's an ability to ZIP, 7-zip, or delete files older than a set number of days. I'd like two of these so I could zip or 7zip a file immediately (if day is at zero) or in a few days. Essentially working as a backup/archive system in addition to versioning.
  • I do wish there was an intermediary step to allow folks to zip ALL versions, and then 7zip or delete versions older than another time frame.
  • Uses less RAM - right now it's at almost 20 megs. Would like to see a very simple external program (maybe a few 100k) that would execute and then close the main AutoVer program at set intervals.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

AutoVer http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2653 - Please vote!

Three things happened to bring this to the database:

* This program saved my butt twice in the last 6 months. The versioning operation is awesome.
* The program went open source (MIT).
* Exceedingly stable program -- never seen it crash.

As a result, I've added the program despite some of my reservations (mostly the dotNET 4 issue)