Tiny Hexer Small Edition v1.8.1.6

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
robertcollier4

#1 Post by robertcollier4 »

SUBMISSION: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2504
(Vote to make it public)

1MB (uncompressed)
Tiny Hexer Small Edition is a minimal hex editor for binary files with an intuitive interface. Small Edition was originally developed for BartPE as a version that requires fewer system libraries and can operate on minimal dependencies.

How to use:
1. Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice.
2. Create an empty text file called mpth.dat in the same folder.
3. Launch mpth_small.exe.

Features:
  • Edit multiple files (mdi)
  • Edit sectors of the disk or other media (flash memory on drivers drive or digital camera) - (disk editor)
  • Change the virtual memory of other processes
  • Open files up to 2 GB
Attachments
tinyhexer1816small.zip
(538.38 KiB) Downloaded 2574 times
Last edited by robertcollier4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

I am Baas

Re: Tiny Hexer Small Edition v1.8.1.6 Portable

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Tiny Hexer Small Edition does not require a launcher. It's natively portable.

Btw, did you test the other editions?

robertcollier4

#3 Post by robertcollier4 »

I am Baas wrote:Tiny Hexer Small Edition does not require a launcher. It's natively portable.
Not exactly. The "Small Edition" saves settings to mpth.dat in the %TEMP% folder. This portable launcher persists those settings by copying that .dat file from %TEMP%.

(From Help File mpth.chm):

Code: Select all

Tiny Hexer Small Edition:
How can i use preconfigured settings in Tiny Hexer SE on BartPE?
As of version 1.7, Tiny Hexer does not use the registry any longer to store its settings. They are stored in a "mpth.dat" database file (located in the temporary directory in the Small Edition). To be able to preconfigure Tiny Hexer Small Edition, it looks for a file "mpth_small.ini" in its program folder and stores the settings from this file in the mpth.dat settings database if the database file does not yet exist. To create such a preconfiguration .ini file, use the "Options/Save settings" command in Tiny Hexer and select the .ini file type.
Note that it only LOADS from mpth_small.ini for "preconfiguration". If you change settings and then exit - it will not write back to mpth_small.ini. Changed settings are rather written to %TEMP%\mpth.dat.
I am Baas wrote:Btw, did you test the other editions?
Yes. Medium and Full editions by default save settings in "%APPDATA%\mirkes.de\Tiny Hexer\1.8\settings.dat" as well as saving that path in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\mirkes.de". However, the Medium and Full versions support the /u3 switch (from Help File mpth.chm):

Code: Select all

/u3: If this option is specified, Tiny Hexer avoids writing values to the registry and tries to use the path specified in the %U3_APP_DATA_PATH% environment variable (or, if this fails, the program directory) for its configuration database.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

@robertcollier4

Sigh... did you try "Save settings..." ?
Placing an empty mpth.dat file in the application folder should work as well.

Here is the directory structure:
2013-07-06_150657.png
2013-07-06_150657.png (8.28 KiB) Viewed 16476 times
Nothing is written to %TEMP%

Luck.

robertcollier4

#5 Post by robertcollier4 »

I am Baas wrote:@robertcollier4
Sigh... did you try "Save settings..." ?
Placing an empty mpth.dat file in the application folder should work as well.
Right you are. I've removed the launcher wrapper and updated the instructions.