EveryPass password manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
kubakk

EveryPass password manager

#1 Post by kubakk »

EveryPass is a HTML5 based password manager that allows cross domain password management on modern, web enabled devices (computers, tablets, phones). EveryPass is not a service, it is a standalone, self contained application that uses the browser as a runtime environment but runs offline too. Persistence is performed by injecting user's AES 256 encrypted data into a copy of itself and saving the resultant file to the local file system. With no user data, EveryPass is only 67Kb in size.

System Requirements: WinXP onwards, Linux, OS X, Android, iOS (readonly)
Writes data to: User selected folder
Dependencies: modern web browser (Chrome, Fire Fox, Safari, IE9+)
License: GPL

Download: https://www.consunet.com.au/products/ev ... wnload.php
Source: https://github.com/Consunet/Apps

Hope you find it useful.

kubakk

Re: EveryPass password manager

#2 Post by kubakk »

It would be really useful for our development if people could post any compatibility issues they've experienced. We're aware of some issues, for instance in iOS due to the file system not really being really accessible. On Android FF works best and on other OS/browser combinations there are sometimes warnings when saving the data.

A few words about your experience would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :-)

kubakk

#3 Post by kubakk »

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I won't be voting as this goes against the principals of TPFC, which doesn't include web browser addons.

kubakk

#5 Post by kubakk »

Thanks for your response, but EveryPass is not a web browser add on. It is a standalone application written in HTML and JavaScript.

Could you elaborate which principles does it violate in your eyes?

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

kubakk wrote:Could you elaborate which principles does it violate in your eyes?
The PFC directory is for executables.

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

I'm not against these types of applications but I understand guinness' points too. Perhaps EveryPass would be more useful as a hosted webapp, wouldn't it?

I'm using KeePass and I like its form fill feature which is not available in EveryPass. I guess it's technically impossible, right?

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

I am not against it either and welcome any discussion on the Forum, just the database is for specific "type" of application.

kubakk

#9 Post by kubakk »

tproli wrote:I'm not against these types of applications but I understand guinness' points too. Perhaps EveryPass would be more useful as a hosted webapp, wouldn't it?
There are already hosted solutions for password management, I would describe these as services not applications. The differentiating feature of EveryPass is that it does not require you to be online to use it. It behaves exactly like an application does from a user's perspective. You can keep the file on a USB stick or wherever and it'll just work when you launch it. It is built like an application too, multiple source files and resources are compiled and optimised into an executable bundle.
guinness wrote:I am not against it either and welcome any discussion on the Forum, just the database is for specific "type" of application.
I don't mean to be arguing over semantics, however your point seems to be centred on HOW an application executes. I understand that traditionally a windows application required an exe, com, bat etc to execute. I don't believe this is a defining characteristic since the time web browsers have been baked into the core of Windows and other OSs. Many applications today just wrap HTML content and add a thin, OS specific launcher. This is redundant for applications like EveryPass which does not require OS specific features/dependencies.

It's not really up to me to say what should/shouldn't got into this database. I've submitted EveryPass because, to me, it ticks all the boxes outlined by http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php , which seems to define a set of functional requirements without restriction on a specific delivery mechanism. In my reading of the forums I did notice that webfork recognises the trend towards this kind of apps in http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =4&t=21030 .

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

I'm more focused on functionality so I tend to agree with kubakk, but maybe EveryPass could also be released as HTA, there are a few at TPFC... :idea:

kubakk

#11 Post by kubakk »

Midas wrote:maybe EveryPass could also be released as HTA, there are a few at TPFC... :idea:
I think I understand why you guys want to protect your identity and a HTA wrapper is possible, however doing this would make EveryPass less portable. Going in that direction would make it Windows specific and not run on Linux, Android etc which it currently does. Investing development effort and removing existing capability with the sole purpose of satisfying an ideological goal is of questionable value given the early stage of the app (it needs features such as password generation). There is also the issue of HTA being a patent encumbered technology which in my mind puts it at odds with the free software spirit of the GPL.

Craunch

#12 Post by Craunch »

EveryPass comes as the file EveryPass.html.

As an HTML file it needs a separate program to run - this would seem to put it into the same category as Java applications which are very unpopular here.

However, the software that is needed to run it is a modern web browser. There are several portable web browsers available on this site, and I suspect that most users of portable software will have one available already. This suggests that there should be no real problem in using EveryPass portably, unlike Java applications.

I feel that EveryPass should be listed here. The most appropriate existing category for it would be HTA, although it might be better to create a new category, "Browser Scripts" perhaps.

kubakk

#13 Post by kubakk »

Craunch wrote: As an HTML file it needs a separate program to run - this would seem to put it into the same category as Java applications which are very unpopular here... ...there should be no real problem in using EveryPass portably, unlike Java applications
Exactly :-) Unlike Java, the program (runtime environment) that's needed is a core part of the host OS for the last decade or so. In that way it executes like HTA, VBS or APPX of Win8. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but the same is true for any app (exe or not) that has a dependency on a DLL file that provides a specific runtime.

The discussion thus far puts portable, freeware and whether this app actually does what it claims (password management) way back in the background behind how it's packaged and executes even though it's just a double click for a user.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

kubakk wrote:The discussion thus far puts portable, freeware and whether this app actually does what it claims (password management) way back in the background behind how it's packaged and executes even though it's just a double click for a user.
The main thing is that the programs are self-contained. That is: they don't rely on other programs to make them function. So the fact that you have to have a web browser available basically makes it an incomplete program.

Actually this exposes sort of a policy question. There are some programs here on the site that require IE (example) that have been accepted as portable so I'm not really sure what to say. In the future, if a web server programs does some or most of its configuration via the web browser, could we admit it to the database?

Anyway I don't know. I asked Andrew what he thinks.

kubakk

#15 Post by kubakk »

Thanks for continuing to consider the EveryPass :-) I understand that having a dependency on another program is frowned upon here, but exploring this grey area of what is allowable is interesting in itself.

On the point of portability, I'd like to know if anyone here actually uses a computer WITHOUT a browser where EveryPass portability would break down.