M3 (mini audio player)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

M3 (mini audio player)

#1 Post by Midas »

Not much to say, M3 is a tiny (~100KB) and minimalistic audio player (by the maker of Fotografix)...
Download current M3 version (v1.0) at http://lmadhavan.com/software/archive/#m3.
Last edited by Midas on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

Re: M3

#2 Post by guinness »

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Yeah the program doesn't show up in the PFW search window. Also, I can add a forum post to the entry where we didn't have one before.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I don't use the TPFC search, instead is use site:portablefreeware.com on ddg or google for example.

__philippe

#5 Post by __philippe »

webfork wrote:Yeah the program doesn't show up in the PFW search window....
It does, with a slightly contrived search argument "M3 small player"

Together with 1by1 and Gplay (CLI), this triumvirate gets nominated for the "Tiniest Music Players our Side of the Galaxy" 's award...;-)

Read all about it:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... arl#p65602

Cheers,

__philippe

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

I had a feeling I had seen it before; yet, I searched, got zero hits, and... :mrgreen:

Oh, well, at least M3 now has an official forum topic. ;)

(Previous reference at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 720#p66720)

webfork

Re: M3 (mini audio player)

#7 Post by webfork »

Entry comments say it only supports WinXP and up, but softpedia entry says WinAll.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... s/M3.shtml

I'd say with WinXP going out, it doesn't really matter but this is exactly the sort of program people who would keep running 2000 or XP due to it being a lightweight would want to run for music stuff. Ah well.

__philippe

#8 Post by __philippe »

webfork wrote:....I'd say with WinXP going out, it doesn't really matter but this is exactly the sort of program people who would keep running 2000 or XP
due to it being a lightweight would want to run for music stuff. Ah well.
Idly wondering whether Microsoft imminent end-of-support for XP really does equate to THE END for XP...?

Bet a few entrepreneurs will see a lucrative opportunity to offer continuing support to the myriads of enterprises who can't/won't migrate in time to newer pastures?

MS itself is reportedly contemplating extending XP enterprises support, for a fee, after the fatefull deadline (April 8th, 2014).
Perhaps limited support (mainly security upgrades) will also become available for individuals users?

see:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-l ... indows-xp/

__philippe
Last edited by __philippe on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

__philippe wrote: MS itself is said to be contemplating limited "paid" support to enterprises after the fatefull deadline (April 8th, 2014).
Perhaps limited support (mainly security upgrades) will also become available for individuals users?
I think Microsoft has always offered paid support of EOLed products to enterprises for a couple of years. I believe it won't become available for individual users.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

When a developer says it doesn't support XP, they mean "...if you find a problem don't come crying to me!"

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote:Bet a few entrepreneurs will see a lucrative opportunity to offer continuing support to the myriads of enterprises who can't/won't migrate in time to newer pastures?
I don't think so. I remember this coming up before with Windows 2000 with the hope that some group, company, or tool would enable it. Slashdot ran an article on this but nobody I knew stuck with Win2K for very long after it came out despite being generally more solid than XP and loads of great server software out for it.

I think the only reason Microsoft extended XP around for so long was to fend off a slew of Linux netbooks that seemed to be popping up. That ended up being a red herring as the real damage to Microsoft came from mobile phones and tablets. Now that they have an answer to that line (Win8) the push should go in the other direction.

I'm not a Windows sysadmin but if you do continue to run XP, I'd get more RAM to run it inside a virtual machine with the snapshots feature enabled to help reverse any system changes. Share the hard drive with the host system and if possible have it running active anti-virus/exploit checks.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:but if you do continue to run XP, I'd get more RAM to run it inside a virtual machine with the snapshots feature enabled to help reverse any system changes.
  • I've been meaning to do just that for years now, but one way or another I never seem to be able to. Imaging is always easier and more straightforward -- it can be done by booting with Clonezilla for example.

It might just be a case of dumb ole me, but administration wise, XP is a known devil, while with later Windows I seem always to be bumping into walls... :oops: