DriveSort sort TV episodes on USB for Tv players

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tls

DriveSort sort TV episodes on USB for Tv players

#1 Post by tls »

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2614
solved: Sort / arrange / organize tv series / tv shows / movies / films on your USB flash disk / flash drive so that your TV plays them in proper order.
solved: sort / arrange / organize tv shows / tv episodes on usb / flash disk / flash drive to play on tv in proper order
solved: You can also sort mp3's on your small (embedded os) mp3 players.
solved: sort / arrange / organize mp3's on usb / flash disk / flash drive to use on old car stereos with no sort / sorting capability
solved: you can also sort / arrange / organize camera pictures / photos (jpeg / jpg) on usb / flash disk / flash drive to show vacation pictures in order on tv (for slideshows)

from author's website
http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

DriveSort sorts the directory tables of a volume formated in FAT12/FAT16/FAT32. This sort orders the files in each folder according to their short or long names alphabetic order.

The majority of recent operating systems sort the files before showing them to the user, either by name, by size or by whatever the user choose. However, it is not always the case in embedded OSes on small portable devices like MP3 players. On these platforms, the lack of resources (CPU, memory) can lead the developper to make it display or play the files in the order in which they are on the disk.

This order depends mostly of the order in which they were added to the disk. DriveSort can change this order to help such devices to play or view their files in the order you want, by putting them on the disk in a customizable order.

-------------------------

this is different from the drivesort already in the database that sorts by file sizes

tested on fat32 32GB and 16GB usb flash
tested on cheap (made in china) mp3 player

used renameMaster to rename 4 seasons of stargate atlantis tv series in the order that i want
(or you can just rename them manually adding 01Filename, 02Filename etc.)
then copied the files to my 32gb usb
then sort then save with driveSort

additional:

as the author has said
"...this tool requires admin rights since it interacts with the sorted disk partition"
if you get an "access denied" error
then it means that another program is accessing your usb
you could probably use unlocker to determine what other program is accessing your usb

best practice:
i would NOT use this on my 500gb external HD
unless i'm darned sure i can restore it's contents
i only use this on my 32 gb usb's (containing copies of my video files)
while my original files stay safe on my 500gb external HD
Last edited by tls on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 am, edited 12 times in total.

tls

Re: DriveSort sort TV episodes on USB for Tv players

#2 Post by tls »

by the way i don't know if having the same name name as the already existing drivesort in the database (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1610) will cause any problems for searching.

Napiophelios

#3 Post by Napiophelios »

Don't know how legal my television episodes are but it works fine with my Western Digital box :)
its pretty cool actually.

I think MarkB should occupy the "suggested by" feild.

MarkB
2010-11-08 02:03
Not to be confused with this program with the same name:

"DriveSort sorts the directory tables of a volume formated in FAT12/FAT16/FAT32. This sort orders the files in each folder according to their short or long names alphabetic order.

The majority of recent operating systems sort the files before showing them to the user, either by name, by size or by whatever the user choose. However, it is not always the case in embedded OSes on small portable devices like MP3 players. On these platforms, the lack of resources (CPU, memory) can lead the developper to make it display or play the files in the order in which they are on the disk."

I'm not sure if it's portable.

tls

#4 Post by tls »

Napiophelios wrote:Don't know how legal my television episodes are but it works fine with my Western Digital box :)
its pretty cool actually.

I think MarkB should occupy the "suggested by" feild.

MarkB
2010-11-08 02:03
Not to be confused with this program with the same name:

"DriveSort sorts the directory tables of a volume formated in FAT12/FAT16/FAT32. This sort orders the files in each folder according to their short or long names alphabetic order.

The majority of recent operating systems sort the files before showing them to the user, either by name, by size or by whatever the user choose. However, it is not always the case in embedded OSes on small portable devices like MP3 players. On these platforms, the lack of resources (CPU, memory) can lead the developper to make it display or play the files in the order in which they are on the disk."

I'm not sure if it's portable.
agreed.
apologies as well. i did not notice the comments section on the drivesort program

how do i edit the suggested by field

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

tls wrote:how do i edit the suggested by field
You can't.

I have edited the field. I also removed the paragraph "This is different from the DriveSort already in the database".
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tls

#6 Post by tls »

SYSTEM wrote:
tls wrote:how do i edit the suggested by field
You can't.

I have edited the field. I also removed the paragraph "This is different from the DriveSort already in the database".

tls

#7 Post by tls »

additional:

as the author has said
"...this tool requires admin rights since it interacts with the sorted disk partition"
if you get an "access denied" error
then it means that another program is accessing your usb
you could probably use unlocker to determine what other program is accessing your usb

best practice:
i would NOT use this on my 500gb external HD
unless i'm darned sure i can restore it's contents
i only use this on my 32 gb usb's (containing copies of my video files)
while my original files stay safe on my 500gb external HD

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Napiophelios wrote:I think MarkB should occupy the "suggested by" feild.
I believe that traditionally only post to the forum / messages to Andrew were accepted... added tls to the "suggested by" field :idea:

Napiophelios

#9 Post by Napiophelios »

My lord are you really gonna dash MarkB's only reach for glory with a technicality?
tisk...tisk...I am so dissappointed with you right now I am Baas..I just dont know what to say
except....Okay sounds fine to me. We are defined by our traditions I guess

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Could someone spell out for me what this program does? Or what exactly problem it solves? As best I can tell this is for:
  • Problem: Your embedded device can't read files in order
    Solution: Run this and do ___.
Explain it to me like I'm 5.

Napiophelios

#11 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:Could someone spell out for me what this program does? Or what exactly problem it solves? As best I can tell this is for:
  • Problem: Your embedded device can't read files in order
    Solution: Run this and do ___.
Explain it to me like I'm 5.
I dont really understand what it does
But here's what it solves for me:

When I place a bunch of tv episodes on a usb and plug it in to the WD Box;
it would play them in some weird order,completely ignoring the actual file names at times.
I would have to manually select which file to play next.

But this app sorts the usb some how and now the WD Box plays in order of the file names like you would expect it too.

So now TheBlacklistS01E04.mp4 is played directly after TheBlacklistS01E03.mp4
instead of after TheBlacklistS01E18.mkv and I can fall asleep without ever having to touch the remote :)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Here's a proposed rewrite of the entry. This look ok?
DriveSort solves a common problem on flash media where files don't appear in the expected order. Since many basic devices see flash drive files in the order they were added to the disk, finding your data is more difficult. DriveSort make sure that files show up in the expected numberical/alphabetical order, making music and shows play in standard order. For example: ShowS01E04.mp4 is played directly after ShowS01E03.mp4 and Alien.avi is played before Aliens.avi.

Functional on FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 devices.

bitcoin

#13 Post by bitcoin »

this is interesting. on a few MP3 players i have that dont allow Rockbox the files don't stack alphabetically, which is a real PITA

looks like this program will solve that