ChordEase

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
victimofleisure

ChordEase

#1 Post by victimofleisure »

ChordEase makes it easier to play music with complicated chords. No matter what the chords are, you can play as if they were all in the key of C. You don't need to play sharps or flats, because ChordEase automatically adds them for you. Though ChordEase is intended for jazz, it could be useful for any type of music that modulates frequently. ChordEase alters your notes in real time in order to make them harmonically correct, while preserving their rhythm and dynamics. By delegating rapid music theory calculations to ChordEase, you gain freedom to concentrate on other aspects of musical performance, such as feel and aesthetics.

ChordEase is a translator that takes MIDI notes as input, and produces MIDI notes as output. The input notes are translated to the current chord scale, so that the output notes fit the chord progression of a song. ChordEase supports various mapping functions which determine how the translating is done. ChordEase can handle multiple translations at once, so multiple performers can play through a single instance of ChordEase, using any number of MIDI instruments. ChordEase parameters can be remotely controlled via MIDI for additional effects. ChordEase can also record its own output as MIDI data.

ChordEase is free, open source software for Windows XP/Vista/7/8. It comes in two flavors, Installer and Portable, and in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The downloads are here:
http://chordease.sourceforge.net/download.html

-Chris Korda

I am Baas

Re: ChordEase

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Tested: Portable

victimofleisure

#3 Post by victimofleisure »

FWIW I attempted to submit ChordEase directly to the database just now. I followed the instructions as best I could and I'm pretty sure it worked, but I'm unclear on how to check that. Do I understand correctly that it won't be visible in the search unless someone votes for it? I don't remember this from my previous submission (WaveShop), but maybe it didn't come up because audio editors are more generally popular?

Here's the permalink:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2631

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

victimofleisure wrote:Do I understand correctly that it won't be visible in the search unless someone votes for it? I don't remember this from my previous submission (WaveShop), but maybe it didn't come up because audio editors are more generally popular?
Correct. WaveShop got the required votes almost instantly (and besides, it was Taf who added it).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

victimofleisure

#5 Post by victimofleisure »

I feel like I should take the time to explain why ChordEase is useful and why anyone should care about it and/or nominate it for inclusion in TPFC. It seems fair to say that ChordEase is much more difficult to "market"* than WaveShop because it's potentially useful to a relatively smaller community, which could be described as "musicians who are open to radically new approaches and experimental instruments". WaveShop addressed an already existing need, and consequently had plenty of competition, but also an obvious built-in market (e.g. users of Audacity). By comparison ChordEase is a new invention, and thus has no competition, but no easily accessible market either. The hardest problem in marketing is creating new needs, i.e. persuading people that they should try something that they never even imagined. This is harder still when the new thing is complex and takes effort to understand, unlike say an electric toothbrush.

ChordEase is effectively a new kind of instrument, but it's not a physical instrument, instead it uses artificial intelligence to enhance ordinary MIDI instruments, so that you can approach them in a totally new way. It's also a meta-instrument, in the sense that it offers the same capabilities to everyone, regardless of what instrument they normally play. It's especially useful to people who approach music rhythmically, because ChordEase can translate rhythmic input into harmonic and melodic output. The main goals of the project are: 1) to make it easier to play harmonically challenging music, and 2) to make it possible to perform music that would otherwise be physically impossible. Like any new instrument, ChordEase has many nuances and requires practice to be effective, but it has the potential to be a game-changer, and open up new aesthetic vistas. My hope is that people will eventually take interest in ChordEase, use it to create their own art, and commit time and effort to its further development, so that it can thrive, in the sense of competing successfully with other worthwhile free projects.

*Marketing free software seems really paradoxical to me actually, but obviously it's just the way things work.

Checker

#6 Post by Checker »

victimofleisure wrote:... Do I understand correctly that it won't be visible in the search unless someone votes for it? ...
To see all the submissions, which are still at "Private"-status, simply enter [#] at the search-field.
Or: Enter [@]xxx (where xxx has to be replaced by the app-name) at the search field.
This will show the selected app only.

BTW: I voted ... now it's visible :wink:

victimofleisure

#7 Post by victimofleisure »

Checker wrote:now it's visible :wink:
Thank you! :D

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

That's a nicely worded exposé, victimofleisure. I love music but I can't play anything, hence my glossing over ChordEase. It does makes a nice addition to TPFC database, though.

Thanks for sharing with us. :)

victimofleisure

#9 Post by victimofleisure »

Hi, I noticed a couple of minor errors.
"Stealth" is "No", but this was a misunderstanding on my part: it should be "Yes".
Also, in the "How to extract" instructions, the app name is misspelled (it's missing the 'h').
I tried to fix these myself but it seems I can't edit the entry now that it's public.

Checker

#10 Post by Checker »