Ditto, clipboard extension & manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tmaibaum

Ditto, clipboard extension & manager

#1 Post by tmaibaum »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Ditto thread. View database entry]

----

Hi,

I would like to add "Ditto", an open-source/freeware application that "saves each item placed on the clipboard allowing you access to any of those items at a later time" (from the website).
I've been using it for one or two years and don't know how I could have ever lived without it... ;)
There used to be a portable version that would only run from a U3 drive (:o), but now there's a regular portable version, too.

Website http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/

Hope you'll like it.

Thomas

PS: I'm new to this forum, so please cut me some slack if there's anything wrong about my post. In particular, I did search the forum for "Ditto" and found it occurred in 3 different threads. However, only the first screen page of each thread was displayed, and I didn't feel like going through all of them (one had 18 pages...). So sorry if this has been mentioned before.

joby_toss

Re: Ditto, clipboard extension & manager

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Version 3.16.8.0 is out:
  • Added DittoUtil Addin, adds the ability to paste any clip type as text
    Fixed SetFocus fix in ActivateTarget -- needed AttachThreadInput
    Added the ability to create add-ins, called before an item is pasted
    Fixed issue with getting the currently focused window when not using the hook dll
    Updated italiano language file
    Added option to paste from hot key, press multiple times to move the selection, release the modifer key (control, shift, alt) to paste
    Fixed word wrap option to reload correctly
    Fixed issues with loading cut copy buffer 3 correctly from config on restart
    Check if key is up before sending key up command. This was causing problems if an app is listening to global key up commands
    Updated to sqlite version 3.16.10

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

Ditto at version 3.21.50.0, changes:
3.21.50.0 3-18-2015
- Up/down keys move description up down just as n and p do
- Use ever incrementing value for drag file names, this way they are always unique
- Add the ability to drag and drop clips to desktop or file explorer and it will auto create the files, text and png files
- Don't change working directories when show open/save windows dialog
- Updated to the latest sqlite, version 3.11.0
- Add new special paste options - remvoe line feeds - add one or two line feeds - typoglycemia Reorganized menu to move non clip specific commands to a - System menu at bottom of the window
- Added options to paste, upper, lower, captilize, sentance cases
- Display warning when always on top is set (this is the number one complaint, how to turn this off when they don't know they set it)
- Use standard formatting for date time in stats window in options
- Handle Altgr being presses on foreign keyboards to handle other characters
- Use the receiving ip address from the client not the ip address they send you
- Default image export to png
- Fixed issue with auto send to friends, after 30 seconds the first send would not be sent
- Handle screen resolution changes better
- Move ditto's main window when screen resolution changes
- Save window sizes per screen resolution
- Added option to save bitmaps to .bmp, .png, jpeg
- Handle repeated keys on up/down and next/prev description
- Handle Home button to go to first row
- Increase the window that we show the resize icon in the corners
- Added new menu option to filter on selected clip
Download Page

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Ditto Portable issue

I've been using Ditto for years now. It's a fantastic program and I love it. I could (and still might) do a few posts on tweaking out this program. However, as it is actively developed, I like using the PortableApps version to help keep it up-to-date. Unfortunately I've run into a situation where -- everytime I reboot -- I get a "this didn't close down properly" message:

Unfortunately, according to Haller, this is something that cannot be fixed.
JohnTHaller wrote:That's an unfortunate side effect of Ditto hard-coding the location of its settings and having no way to shut it down externally in a clean fashion. To conform to the PA.c spec, Ditto's settings have to be moved from the Data directory to DittoPortable\App\Ditto while it's running and then back after being closed. If Windows closes while Ditto Portable is running, both processes are just shut down by Windows, so it can't be moved back. So, the launcher will perform its cleanup process after you start it again and warn you it was shut down unsafely the last time.

Normally, we suggest users use the PortableApps.com Platform to safely close all their portable apps in an organized and clean fashion. Unfortunately, as Ditto runs from the tray and has no visible window while minimized, it can't receive the WM_CLOSE call to close itself down, so the platform can't close it. We couldn't have the launcher listen for the Windows shutdown command and then close Ditto cleanly either. Ditto doesn't have an external command line or API call to have it close as some other apps do. So, we're left with that warning.

To avoid the message, you can close Ditto Portable manually before shutting down Windows or use the zip version of Ditto, though some data loss may occur if Ditto doesn't properly trap a Windows shutdown notification and hasn't saved all changes (I've noticed that most smaller apps don't trap it). I'll be adding the ability for the PA.c Platform to kill processes similarly to Windows shutdown for users who would like to take that approach in the future. For now, the platform will alert you that Ditto is still running as you exit the platform to close/eject/shutdown if you have that feature on.

It's worth noting that if Ditto did have some way to redirect its settings, via command line or environment variable for example, the DittoPortable.exe launcher wouldn't need to stay running (Ditto is a clean app with no registry changes or local files) and you wouldn't see that warning on next launch. Ditto may lose data in that scenario, though, but I don't think that's really a worry with Ditto due to its nature.
Workarounds:
  • Switch to the natively portable version and do manual updates
  • Manually close the program before reboot. Or basically something along the lines of what I've been trying to work out in this thread (to quickly close all open programs).
Edit:
  • Note that about 1 in 10 instances of this mean that my settings get dumped and I have to re-add my paste-as-text key combo (ctrl+shift+`).

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

To add a couple details to the above, I've confirmed that Ditto will not close if you send a WM_CLOSE or a WM_QUIT to either its main Afx:008B0000:0 window or its QPasteClass window. The QPasteClass window will respond and close, but as its not the main window, the app keeps running. The only way to close it externally is to kill the process. This will leave a ghost icon in the notification tray. I think that's how I'll have the app advertise the way to close it externally to the PortableApps.com Platform. Most apps don't provide a way to close externally. Even the ones that do sometimes don't work. For example, I've noticed PNotes doesn't seem to respond to the -x command line pass to close that's described in its documentation.

UPDATE: Scratch that... I was accidentally using /x instead of -x. PNotes responds appropriately and the next PortableApps.com Platform will automatically close it.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:... the next PortableApps.com Platform will automatically close it.
Update here: the latest PortableApps Platform changelog includes:
Ability to automatically close system tray apps Ditto and PNotes with more on the way.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Ability to automatically close system tray apps Ditto and PNotes with more on the way.
I'm still not using the PortableApps menu just because I still much prefer launching from inside CubicExplorer so the shutdown option that it provides really isn't working for me. This has also made it's way over into Notepad++ as well. As a result, I worked up something with Splat in terms of a workaround for Ditto Portable's shutdown issue. Essentially the steps are:

1. Launch my standard programs including Ditto and Notepad++
2. Click OK on the complaint message stating that it wasn't shut down properly
3. Wait a few seconds
4. Try launching both programs again

This is my best solution beyond just switching to the natively portable version of both programs.

gbrao

#8 Post by gbrao »

v3.24.184.0
02-27-2021

https://ditto-cp.sourceforge.io/index.php
Fixed issue with excluding clips by regex not working
Added option to maintain search view
Added keyboard shortcut to open the system menu, defaults to control-right click keyboard key, Can be customized in option quick paste keyboard.
Support having the port after the IP/host name when sending to friends
Register with windows restart manager
Show database id in a clip's tool tip
Added option to bind the server to a specific IP address
Handle keystroke before first load is done
Added option to allow back to back duplicates
Added option to not handle multiple hot key presses to move selection
Handle repeat keys for moving clips up and down