PeaExtractor - simple file decompression

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
freakazoid

Re: PeaExtractor - simple file decompression

#16 Post by freakazoid »

There hasn't been an update for PeaExtractor in three years.

It's possible to just replace all the extractor libraries with the base PeaZip ones though. What I'm doing is symlinking all the directories from /PeaZip/res/bin (except /icons/, /lang/ and /lang-wincontext/), as well as pea.exe, directly into the PeaExtractor directory. That way, whenever PeaZip is updated, PeaExtractor will use whatever PeaZip uses.
Last edited by freakazoid on Fri May 27, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:11 pm There hasn't been an update for PeaExtractor in three years.

It's possible to just replace all the extractor libraries with the base PeaZip ones though. What I'm doing is symlinking all the directories from /PeaZip/res/ (except /lang/ and /lang-wincontext/), as well as pea.exe, directly into the PeaExtractor directory. That way, whenever PeaZip is updated, PeaExtractor will use whatever PeaZip uses.
How do you do that? Is there a way to just copy over the PeaZip files? I've been using PeaExtractor as my go-to for some of the entries that use RAR and 7zip decompression, so I'm curious. Though adding some kind of update steps there sort of breaks the whole point of simple tools.

freakazoid

#18 Post by freakazoid »

If you compare the PeaExtractor and PeaZip/res/bin directories, they use almost the same, identical file structure.

You can manually copy over the PeaZip files (except the /icons/, /lang/ and /lang-wincontext/ directories), but that's just more work than I'd like to do. That's why I'm using symlinks, but you're free to just copy and overwrite the files yourself.
is it stealth? ;)