TSubtitleDownloader

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ozok

TSubtitleDownloader

#1 Post by ozok »

As the name suggests, this program is a batch subtitle downloader. You add files/folders to the list, select the subtitle language and start downloading subtitles. Requires .net 4.5 installed. Please vote: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2723

smaragdus

Re: TSubtitleDownloader

#2 Post by smaragdus »

Thank you for TSubtitleDownloader. In my opinion there was not a single decent free and portable subtitles downloader available. Sublight is not free and it is one of the most abominable programs I have ever used. I already voted for TSubtitleDownloader. I tested it and I encountered an issue- if in the selected folder there are subtitles with the same name TSubtitleDownloader overwrites them without warning. In my opinion TSubtitleDownloader should warn about overwriting existing subtitle files asking for renaming or for another download location. Another idea- an option for default download location so that TSubtitleDownloader would download subtitles not in the added (scanned) folder but in the user defined download folder. Excellent work as usual.
Last edited by smaragdus on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozok

#3 Post by ozok »

@smaragdus Sorry if you've lost any data. "Don't download if already exists" button perhaps should be checked as default. Thanks for the idea, I'll add it in the next release.

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@ozok
There's nothing to be sorry about- I had a subtitle file in different language with the same name so TSubtitleDownloader overwrote it with the English subtitle file but there was no problem because I knew where to get the original file and I got it in seconds. Perhaps when there is a subtitle file with the same name a warning message or an option to download to another location would also be fine (sometimes I need subtitles in different languages for verifications, corrections and translations).

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Works great. Updated entry and voted.

Questions:

1. It only works for Win7?
2. Does it work under 64 bit?

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
I tested it on Windows 8 x64 and it worked fine.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:@webfork
I tested it on Windows 8 x64 and it worked fine.
Thanks, I'll add that.

Hawk

#8 Post by Hawk »

Dont' have Brazilian Portuguese.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

I'm pretty happy with various TSubtitleDownloader tests but I should point out two alternatives. They are also open (GPLv3) and portable, but appear to be out of development:

SubiT - works on Windows and Linux
http://subit-app.sourceforge.net/
https://github.com/yosi-dediashvili/Sub ... .0/LICENSE
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... able.shtml

OpenSubdownloader
https://launchpad.net/opensubdownloader

---

SMPlayer has subtitle downloading features and is under active development, but I'm not sure if it has batch capabilities like some items above (and TSubtitleDownloader).

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: some user acused TSubtitleDownloader of carrying malware.

As the entry's description note states there are no download sources anymore, shouldn't it be made private?

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:06 am Old topic update: some user acused TSubtitleDownloader of carrying malware.

As the entry's description note states there are no download sources anymore, shouldn't it be made private?
I had a local copy so I've updated the entry to my own local copy.

The SHA256 codes are:
The container ZIP file: 7A490A64BF8826C48D13A30EFD726E83BB840159A24CC937C6F4F1157A3AB56C
The included EXE is: 3415F0CA7EA337992B91CE03ACE2BFDD21844BB4F08D39DA2240054ED3EEEF45

The ZIP file is of course not going to be recognized by VirusTotal but the EXE is 0/63

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Great! 8)