Movie Info Search

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tactictoe

Re: Movie Info Search - Freeware Portable

#31 Post by tactictoe »

Thanks Midas, once again.

You are really more than helpful for me when it come to this software and forum.

About the home page of the software:
- I am an amateur in HTML and not really good at it. But yes, what you suggest is right. I should create a Table of content (index of the like) and remodel, respan that page into different pages as chapter. A bit like a help file, CHM format. Lots of work for me there. But I understand your point of view and it starts to be more than necessary to do it.

About the software:
(a) themes (difficult to read UI Label ): what about I write an options with and without background, adapt the colours of the font to user choice for all the label on the form?
Maybe if the classic UI is chosen remove all the background image as in not visible. Another Idea is to permits the user to choose it's own background pictures.
(b) 'in a wide page that, unless maximized, has to be scrolled horizontally to see a full entry.' : I am aware of this situation and it is a tough one to solve, weird behavior of TWebBrowser based (you are right) on Internet Explorer. So far I tried various solutions to force the browser to display at end of search to topleft corner without real success. I keep trying. More important to me only I guess, why such behavior occurs and why no legal code works to bring the view to the top left corner.
(c) a message like "This video contains content from XXXXX. Reproduction is restricted on certain sites. See on YouTube": I will try to get this message, and work on a solutions. All videos are played via activeX Flash player and from you tube via this flash player. Maybe I need to implant a signature for the Browser to be recognize by You Tube as IE.
For the video 'the audio kept playing even after I closed MIS' : will force the browser to navigate to about:blank on closing MIS. Working on that one, right now.
(d) Regarding terminology, what is now called "Movie poster" would be better deemed an 'ad thumbnail' if real dimensions are considered: you lost me here, sorry.

Academic Debate:
There are many type of software release on the market:
- Full release, rigid and will evolve only if the developers want to, as they listen to profit not to the final user but if profit is present. MIS is free and will be always free with me as owner and author. There are no reason to sell something I did for the community to enjoy as much as I enjoy it myself.
- Full release under stress: as in drivers for new hardware when the developers are pushed and stressed all the way... The hardware is on a released dead line and that's it, marketing does not care if the full release under stress software crashes, they want the hardware to works basics but with fireworks to blind the public and do profits.
- Beta, alpha, omega, the 'Ohlala' release as I call them. Just in dev. phase asking public to help for test purpose. MIS is not Ohlala but bugs are presents, I know they will show up and I am counting on the community to let me know. Keep in mind I am working solo from home to make this free software as best as I can. As you said Rome was not build in one day.
- Free world software, not perfect but the goal is set to strive for this very perfection WITH users input (bugs, suggestions and the whole guerrilla arsenal of the public (critics)). I believe in Free world with real free software and free IT: for all. Even it sounds utopic , it's a matter of keep trying that will at the end make differences. MIS falls in this category and will stay in this category. And if I can make it perfect, good. If I can't, I will keep trying.

They are more category of course... but the point of this solo debate (so far) was to be clear here that I am listening to what user are saying when it come to MIS. I wish they were more MIDAS or JohnW, more people not scared to talk and daredevil enough to make things move forward. That is how the world should go, sharing knowledge with no profit in mind and irrespective of education background (just being human). For my parts I like to walk where no one has walked before and dreams ... thru this dreams bring back the impossible and build it the next day for free for all. But it's just me.

tactictoe

#32 Post by tactictoe »

Movie Info Search is now V1.6.2.0: you can hide the art background from tab1 and tab2, via the options tab under the themes section.
Suggested by Midas for increasing readability with Antartica, Classic, Under the Sky themes and label colours (Black).

Later I intend to add another function: Choose your own Art Background (Dev. Phase V1.6.3.0).
Also working on DVD/Blue ray Cover (Basic for now, using Poster and Movie Info gathered).
Way later, scan HDD or media to find all movies and clip and series and auto find Info and poster with auto save options.
Real Database for all these info.

May be this software will be able then to compete with commercial products, little fish becoming Moby Dick just to scare commercial production :lol: But one step at a time, of course, ;-)

tactictoe

#33 Post by tactictoe »

MIS is now V1.6.3.0:
- On Line Help button linking to a PDF manual. Pfff, Needs work this manual but it is a good start.

SYSTEM

#34 Post by SYSTEM »

tactictoe wrote:MIS is now V1.6.3.0:
- On Line Help button linking to a PDF manual. Pfff, Needs work this manual but it is a good start.
Thank you. Entry updated. :)

Your post states that the version number is 1.6.3.0, but it's 1.6.3.2 in the "Update Information" section of the MIS homepage. I set the version number of the entry to 1.6.3.2.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Checker

#35 Post by Checker »

@SYSTEM: Right-klick info on 'MovieInfoSearch.exe' gives me v1.6.3.0 as version (same as published on top of main page). I think v1.6.3.2 is a typo.

tactictoe

#36 Post by tactictoe »

:roll: It was a typo, but thanks to let me know. Entry is corrected on the web site. :wink: :D

tactictoe

#37 Post by tactictoe »

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY, :-)

Movie Info Search is now version 1.6.5.0:
Search as you type in edit box tab 2 (List) and Manage Info text dialog (V1.6.4.0)... will improve with suggestion search when no match found later.
Bug corrected, display of Options tab maximized is now correct for button on line help. Other bugs removed. (V1.6.5.0)
You can now choose, save and apply your own background for tab 1 and 2 if the original does not suit you. (V1.6.5.0).
moviesearch3.jpg
Typeasyougo.jpg
Typeasyougo.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 11983 times

tactictoe

#38 Post by tactictoe »

Movie Info Search is now V1.6.6.0
Major bug fixed into Manage Info Text Dialog: RELEASED category now shows when saved, IMDB VOTES and IMDB ID mixed up fix. Save of Info on this tab is now correct. (v1.6.5.2)
Option to create filtered custom list usable in tab2 and local HTML page creation added to the options: 'Create Filtered List' button (V1.6.6.0)
moviesearch14.jpg
moviesearch3.jpg

Checker

#39 Post by Checker »

tactictoe wrote:Movie Info Search is now V1.6.6.0
Thanks ... and updated :wink:

tactictoe

#40 Post by tactictoe »

Movie Info Search is now V1.6.6.4

What is new in this version:

Manage Info Text from Options tab changes:
- Poster previewed when selecting a movie is now empty when user click refresh.
- Add Extra category: button 'Load a filtered list'
1-6-4-4_1.jpg
1-6-4-4_1.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 11679 times
Filtered List options changes:
- Add button 'Manage Info Txt' to the Send List
- Label 'Load a Saved list' change to 'Saved List:'
- Load List button label 'Load List' changed to 'Load saved list'
1-6-4-4_2.jpg
1-6-4-4_2.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 11679 times

Check for Update options
- Add button 'What's new', visible only when an update is available.
This button link to a new Window called:
What's new in Movie Info Search
This window display the web Log update Specific to the current version in a mini browser.
Download is possible from that page too.
1-6-4-4_3.jpg
1-6-4-4_3.jpg (8.1 KiB) Viewed 11679 times
Creation of current update log window
(What's new in Movie Info Search)

SYSTEM

#41 Post by SYSTEM »

tactictoe wrote:Movie Info Search is now V1.6.6.4
Thank you. Entry updated. :)

tactictoe

#42 Post by tactictoe »

Sorry to make you work hard guys but I think my brain is on steroid these days...

Movie Info Search is now 1.6.7.0

Bug Fix:
Major bug when opening in portable mode fixed.

Options Tab:
New Backup button
V1-6-7-0.jpg
V1-6-7-0.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 11564 times

Backup dialog window created:
Permits you to backup Movie Info text and Poster gathered on the Internet in a zip file.
Select some files, or all of them.
Now 'zip' them with the archive name of your choice into the folder of your choice.
V1-6-7-0-2.jpg

SYSTEM

#43 Post by SYSTEM »

tactictoe wrote:Sorry to make you work hard guys but I think my brain is on steroid these days...
Yes, I have noticed that the MIS release rate is extremely rapid. Good thing that any program can't be shown on the main page more often than once per week...
tactictoe wrote:Movie Info Search is now 1.6.7.0
Thank you for your work. :) I updated the entry.

tactictoe

#44 Post by tactictoe »

:D I do release update pretty fast when I discover a major bug and/or a user request is completed. This is the case here. Also MIS is a little bit of a pet project. May be it's the reason why this brain is on steroid and I am a movie buff. It evolves so fast they are even non-released official version and various version with bizarre functionality non-released of the software (adding frame on poster, checking amazon for a dvd/blue ray copy e.g). One thing is sure: you will be always the first site where I post the update but the home page of MIS of course. I think I made it clear I trust and really enjoy this site and the forum where critics are creative and give us author feedback directly from this very own forum (test of the software e.g.). Also I love when people use this software and are happy with it, it makes me happy. For now it will evolve with the ability to print DVD/Blu Ray cover as many people are asking for it. An IOS and Android and windows tablet are on the way too (all beta for now, lot's of thing to consider... off line data is one of it). All version will be free of charge. :D

SYSTEM

#45 Post by SYSTEM »

tactictoe wrote:Also MIS is a little bit of a pet project. May be it's the reason why this brain is on steroid and I am a movie buff.
Meanwhile I am an electronic music addict, which is a reason why I founded Keppi when I decided to start a new project. However, I have the opposite approach to release rate: I prefer to release as rarely as possible, holding changes in unreleased versions for months at most.
tactictoe wrote: It evolves so fast they are even non-released official version and various version with bizarre functionality non-released of the software (adding frame on poster, checking amazon for a dvd/blue ray copy e.g).
I also don't post publicly about upcoming features. I dislike publicly committing myself to anything.

There is clearly a lot of diversity among us freeware developers...
tactictoe wrote: One thing is sure: you will be always the first site where I post the update but the home page of MIS of course. I think I made it clear I trust and really enjoy this site and the forum where critics are creative and give us author feedback directly from this very own forum (test of the software e.g.). Also I love when people use this software and are happy with it, it makes me happy.
Indeed, a portable freeware forum is an excellent place for freeware developers like you. :) There are some specialized software forums (like Doom9 for anything multimedia related), but almost no general-purpose forums other than us.

In addition, I have noticed that we are an extremely tight-knit community. In the over five years I have been here, I haven't witnessed anyone being banned other than spammers. It's amazing. :)