How to close ALL running programs?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

How to close ALL running programs?

#1 Post by webfork »

Short version: I need a program that will quickly close all programs including those in the system tray

Background: I don't know how this didn't come up before, but I noticed that CloseAll and Closeout both ignore the system tray / notification area programs.

So for example, here's what CloseAll looks like with DocFetcher minimized to the system tray:

Here's what it looks like when I double-click on them to pull them out of the system tray:

Does anyone know of a program that will do this? Or how to configure CloseOut or CloseAll to take those programs down?

joby_toss

Re: How to close ALL running programs?

#2 Post by joby_toss »

The problem is that minimized (to tray) apps don't register as tasks, but only as processes, in task manager, hence the limitation of CloseAll.
As a workaround, you can minimize DocFetcher only to taskbar (disable minimize to tray option).
Or you can create a custom profile in Splat (haven't tried it).
Or use this batch file: http://agnipulse.com/2009/02/kill-all-r ... ble-click/

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

misan wrote:Here is a real killer:
killtasks.exe ~6 KB
http://api.256file.com/killtasks.exe/en ... 62929.html

It will close ALL processes if you click Yes, you will lose ANY unsafed data. And you have to log in again.
Webpage is at http://www.networkdls.com/Software/View ... ill_Tasks/

shnbwmn

#6 Post by shnbwmn »

I came across KillEmAll some time back. Maybe it's what you're looking for, even though it's intended for use as a sort of panic button. On my system it detects things like AHK, Aquasnap, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, etc and includes a nice interface with whitelisting support. The author is developing a better version of the program which is currently in open beta ... KillEmAll v5. Haven't tested for portability, but the author indicates that it is (KillEmAll_Portable.zip).

Personally I just use batch files. All my tray programs are ones I start from a batch upon drive insertion, so I close them the same way. PAF-packaged apps don't seem to play nice with this method, though.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

BTW, anyone using batch files to kill tasks should find the discussion about TASKKILL interesting -- see viewtopic.php?t=20411 ...

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Wow, lots of great suggestions. Thanks everyone.
joby_toss wrote:The problem is that minimized (to tray) apps don't register as tasks, but only as processes, in task manager, hence the limitation of CloseAll.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the breakdown.
joby_toss wrote:... you can create a custom profile in Splat (haven't tried it).
Yeah I thought about doing that (and I definitely love Splat) but as I'm always working with new programs, I'd have to constantly update the entry. I actually asked Skwire about that and he recommended just using a program like CloseAll.
joby_toss wrote:Or use this batch file: http://agnipulse.com/2009/02/kill-all-r ... ble-click/
That might do the trick, thanks.
misan wrote:It will close ALL processes if you click Yes, you will lose ANY unsafed data.
I dig the size and sort of the "nuclear option" style of it, but I definitely want the program to ask me if I want to save a file before closing it.

I also see that CloseMany (mentioned by Baas in one of the threads) would also do the trick. It requires a little more but seems like a safer option for the general public so someone doesn't close something they don't recognize. Also it's a compile AHK that could be edited for greater uses.
shnbwmn wrote:I came across KillEmAll some time back
I didn't think a tool like this could be aimed at anti-malware efforts as well. Great idea.