MPV.NET (DotNET MPV frontend)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

MPV.NET (DotNET MPV frontend)

#1 Post by Midas »

I kept postponing a post about MIT licensed FLOSS MPV.NET[*] (https://github.com/stax76/mpv.net) for the simple reason that it's such a feature rich and advanced media player solution that I basically didn't know where to start.

Well that won't do anymore as MPV.NET is already at v5.4.1, released 2019-09-05 (check https://github.com/stax76/mpv.net/releases), while development is still going briskly.

The official site offers native portable packages for download, which I have have yet to test thoroughly but, because they're DotNET based (you'll need the latest v4.7 framework, in fact), I'd expect MPV.NET to leave behind some minor traces.

mpv.net is a modern media player for Windows that works just like mpv. [...] mpv.net is based on libmpv which offers a straightforward C API that was designed from the ground up to make mpv usable as a library and facilitate easy integration into other applications. mpv is like vlc not based on DirectShow or Media Foundation.
If a folder named portable_config next to the mpvnet.exe exists, all config will be loaded from this folder only.

Now, configuration of the underlying mpv (https://mpv.io/) engine seems to be an advanced science field by itself and that's something MPV.NET explicitly aims to make easier -- I'd still recommend an extensive read of the homepage manual or similar resources, though.

There's also a fairly recent 3rd-party review from Ghacks.net at www.ghacks.net /2019/07/05/a-look-at-mpv-net-a-mpv-frontend-with-everything-integration/.

MPV.NET latest release can be downloaded from https://github.com/stax76/mpv.net/releases.

[*] I'm deliberately using the name in all-caps here in order to offset keyword ambiguity, as a search at TPFC or Google for "mpv.net" will get scores of totally unrelated results.

SYSTEM

Re: MPV.NET (DotNET MPV frontend)

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Thanks for the submission. I have been using mpv ever since MPC-HC stopped being developed. It's awesome to finally have a GUI wrapper for mpv. I'm now using mpv.net as my primary media player. :)

Added to the database: https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2986

I also regshotted it, and turned out that it's not stealth: it saves some settings in Windows registry. :(

It's also a big omission that mpv-net doesn't support the --window-scale option of mpv that automatically scales the window to video size or a suitable multiple of it (like twice video size on a high-DPI screen for integer scaling).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:01 pm It's awesome to finally have a GUI wrapper for mpv. I'm now using mpv.net as my primary media player. :)
SMPlayer supports mpv since at least one year.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:34 am
SYSTEM wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:01 pm It's awesome to finally have a GUI wrapper for mpv. I'm now using mpv.net as my primary media player. :)
SMPlayer supports mpv since at least one year.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it's a much better option (it does have ability to scale window to video, for example). I switched to SMPlayer. :)

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote: I switched to SMPlayer.
Very nice to witness such interactions -- even when the final result is the newcomer program getting dropped... :)

Quick jump to SMPlayer database entry: https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1358.

SYSTEM wrote: I also regshotted it, and turned out that it's not stealth: it saves some settings in Windows registry.
Further details would be very welcome here.

billon

#6 Post by billon »

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 am
SYSTEM wrote: I also regshotted it, and turned out that it's not stealth: it saves some settings in Windows registry.
Further details would be very welcome here.
The settings in question are last URL seen in clipboard, audio volume, mute status, window position and recently opened files.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

Never mind... I looked at the database entry and the crucial detail was there.

MPV.NET traces are at 'HKCU\Software\mpv.net'.

Midas

Re: MPV-EASY Player

#9 Post by Midas »

billon wrote: Also MPV-EASY layer
Cool. 8)
MPV-EASY Player is a movie player based on mpv. It comes with an easy-to-use interface, you can quickly adjust many parameters, carefully adjusted default settings will be able to stimulate all the performance of the mpv player, so that the use of mpv player is much simpler than before.
MPV-EASY Player is still portable software. MPV-EASY Player is decompressed and used just like MPV. No installation is required. Even if the system is reinstalled, any settings and personal data will not be lost.

bitcoin

#10 Post by bitcoin »

now up to v6.0.3.0 as of July 3rd 2022