Photo Resizer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Andrew Lee

Photo Resizer

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just came across this interesting little program:

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

It basically batch resizes JPEG images by you dragging-and-dropping files to the EXE.

What is different about this program is the resize settings are configured by essentially renaming the EXE. So renaming it to PhotoResize800.exe means maximum width/height is 800 pixels (aspect ratio preserved). Never seen things done this way before. But if you need to perform resize to multiple dimensions in your workflow, this could be an easy way to set things up. Just make multiple copies of the EXE with different names!

Further configuration can be done using command line arguments in the EXE shortcut.

I have added the program to the database:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=3037

webfork

Re: Photo Resizer

#2 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:23 am What is different about this program is the resize settings are configured by essentially renaming the EXE. So renaming it to PhotoResize800.exe means maximum width/height is 800 pixels (aspect ratio preserved). Never seen things done this way before.
I've tested a lot of software programs and I've never seen that either -- great find.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Great. Photo Resizer was in my todo list to post about here in the forums, so I just reciprocated by upvoting the entry. 8)

[Photo Resizer is] An easy-to-use and free tool for batch resizing of JPG pictures and photos.

Photo Resizer is currently v6.0.1 released 2012-02-13 (version history and downloads at the homepage).

Changelog transcript follows...

Code: Select all

What's new in version 6.0

* Limit processing to landscape (width >= height) or portrait (height < width) files with PhotoResize400X.exe and PhotoResize400Y.exe. This allows you to process your image library in 2 steps applying different options to landspace and portrait pictures.
* Rotate pictures by EXIF orientation tag while resizing them with PhotoResize400V.exe.
* Higher accuracy resampling method improves quality in darker areas.
* Support for JPEG arithmetic compression for both decoding and encoding. PhotoResize400A.exe creates JPEGs with arithmetic compression. Please note that very few applications support arithmetic compression at this moment, but probably will in the future, because the patents have recently expired. Arithmetic encoding reduces file size by ~10% while keeping the same quality.

A bugfix update 6.0.1 was released on February 13th 2012.

What's new in version 5.0

* Extend canvas+resize with PhotoResize400x300x5.exe. - The last number (5 in this case) sets the brightness of the canvas 0=black, 9=white, 1..8=shades of grey.
* Limit processing to files with names matching given pattern with -z switch. For example -za*.* will only resize files starting with 'a' character. * and ? can be used in the pattern.
* Command line window is closed when the tool is started without parameters and displays information screen. A donate button was placed on the window to make donators' life easier.

What's new in version 4.0

* Crop+resize with PhotoResizeA400x300.exe.
* Preserve file modification time PhotoResize400E.exe.
* <CREDATE> template for custom destination path switch (-c) to automatically classify files by date.
* -XofN command line switch to split a large resizing batch to parts that can be run consecutively or in parallel on mutliple computers. By using different switches (for example -1of3 -2of3 -3of3), only a fraction of all files will be processed in each run.

What's new in version 3.5

* Quality setting using file name PhotoResize400Q85.exe.
* Ability to skip files already existing in the destination folder - do quick incremental updates - PhotoResize400U.exe.
* Command line switches for chroma subsampling.

What's new in version 3.0

* B&W (grayscale) jpeg images are supported.
* Creation date of the resized file is preserved.
* Explicit multi-core and multi-processor support. If multiple files are resized, all cores will be utilized. Hyper-threaded processors are also supported, but the speed gain will not be significiant.
* Image re-targeting support (<- worth clicking ;-)). Combination of resampling and image carving techniques is used to obtain image that fits the specified rectangle. Activated using -gWxH switch or by the G letter: PhotoResizeG1024x768.exe.

vevy

#4 Post by vevy »

Interesting concept. Some tools do rely on executable name for detecting user preference e.g. program-portable.exe

You can also use it without renaming through the command line.

We should settle on a name though! Is it "Picture Resizer" or "PhotoResize"?

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

vevy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:55 am We should settle on a name though! Is it "Picture Resizer" or "PhotoResize"?
I dunno man.. the name is all over the place.. web page title says "Batch Picture Resize", multiple places in web page says "Picture Resizer", filename says "PhotoResize".. what's a man to do? :D

vevy

#6 Post by vevy »

I would guess that "PhotoResize" is the executable name they don't want to change because it is relevant to the name parsing.
"Picture Resizer" is the one in the title of the GUI Window. I'd go with that.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

vevy wrote:"Picture Resizer" is the one in the title of the GUI Window. I'd go with that.

I agree. It has the advantage of not confusing users and the general public. :)