Gaijin NFReader [RSS reader]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
kuihdez

#16 Post by kuihdez »

your program still doesn't import from Abilon, another rss feed reader present here.

all other feed readers can read from that export except nfreader

kuihdez

#17 Post by kuihdez »

ok, great, memmory usage is low, 61 megs max on 400 feeds and plus

when all marked read, it drops to 6 megs and so. which is good because abilon stays on 56 whatever the amount or read/unread.

it is also faster, it updates and switchs to the streams faster.

supports unicode, very good.

only problems left are
-no custom icon based on the feed (cannot bring the feed icon)
-open/closing takes too much time.
-Sometimes Minimizing to system tray doesn't work, and it stays in the status bar
-When updating all 400 feeds, it takes up to 70 percent CPU, sometimes 80, memory usage is still good thought

keep up the good work. Abilon is now replaced by your program, but these cons need to be fixed !!!

joby_toss

#18 Post by joby_toss »

This is a promising program!
How can i make it the default feed reader of the system ?
Minimize to tray does not always work.
Custom icons would be nice.
I would like to rename feeds when i press F2 key like any other file.
And one last thing: for example this is a screenshot from softpedia feed. Is there any way of displaying only the feeds with (Freeware) caption in title (softpedia does not have separate feeds for freeware, demos, trial softwares) (filters is what i have in mind) ?
Keep it up, thank you!

Gaijin

#19 Post by Gaijin »

kuihdez wrote:your program still doesn't import from Abilon, another rss feed reader present here.

all other feed readers can read from that export except nfreader
If the OPML has no "<?xml..." tag, the import is not possible. In the next version this should be fixed. If this tag present, can you please send me an example OPML file, so I can reproduce the problem.
kuihdez wrote: -no custom icon based on the feed (cannot bring the feed icon)
If you load 400 feed icons from an USB device, this would take a while...
I add this to the todo-list for a future version.
kuihdez wrote: -open/closing takes too much time.
NFReader is designed to work from USB sticks, so the data will be saved as XML file. With many feeds is this very slow. But I try to speed it up.
kuihdez wrote: -Sometimes Minimizing to system tray doesn't work, and it stays in the status bar
Edit: This should work in the next version.
Last edited by Gaijin on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaijin

#20 Post by Gaijin »

joby_toss wrote:This is a promising program!
Thank you!
joby_toss wrote: How can i make it the default feed reader of the system ?
I think this should work in the next version.
joby_toss wrote: I would like to rename feeds when i press F2 key like any other file.
This is a little bit tricky, but I do my best...
joby_toss wrote: And one last thing: for example this is a screenshot from softpedia feed. Is there any way of displaying only the feeds with (Freeware) caption in title (softpedia does not have separate feeds for freeware, demos, trial softwares) (filters is what i have in mind) ?
Keep it up, thank you!
This is not possible, but you can mark items automatically read, if a search term is present. I will note this suggestion for a future version.

wolssiloa

#21 Post by wolssiloa »

Hi Gaijin, great program! I'm looking forward to the updates.

Bugs?
When I first run the program and go to Settings, then change some things, it asks me to change the update interval from 15min to 60min, then asks me if it's ok. I click OK, but the box doesn't close, so I manually change it to 60min then I can close the box and apply the new changes I made to the settings.

On some pages I get the error "An error has occured in the script on this page." Is there something wrong with IE?

Requests:
Can we adjust the size of the font?
Can we choose how far back feeds we want to download? Like 2000 feeds or download feeds up to a certain date?
Can I click on the parent folder or group and be able to see all the feeds in one long list?

Gaijin

#22 Post by Gaijin »

wolssiloa wrote:Hi Gaijin, great program! I'm looking forward to the updates.
Thank you!
wolssiloa wrote: When I first run the program and go to Settings, then change some things, it asks me to change the update interval from 15min to 60min, then asks me if it's ok. I click OK, but the box doesn't close, so I manually change it to 60min then I can close the box and apply the new changes I made to the settings.
Thanky, I have fixed this.
wolssiloa wrote:On some pages I get the error "An error has occured in the script on this page." Is there something wrong with IE?
In the current beta version available on http://www.gaijin.at/tecbetatest.php, this should be fixed.

@kuihdez/joby_toss: In this version, the OPML imput and the minimize to system try bug is fixed too.
wolssiloa wrote:Can we adjust the size of the font?
The simplest way to do this is to edit the language file. ou can change the value behind "Font|Size=...".
wolssiloa wrote:Can I click on the parent folder or group and be able to see all the feeds in one long list?
In the settings dialog you can check the option "Group feeds in folders..." (in General / Misc).

wolssiloa

#23 Post by wolssiloa »

gaijin, thanks that fixed most of the problems I was having, but I still get the IE script error with the beta.

I have a little over a 100 feeds and clicking on a new article feels slow.

Gaijin

#24 Post by Gaijin »

wolssiloa wrote:gaijin, thanks that fixed most of the problems I was having, but I still get the IE script error with the beta.

I have a little over a 100 feeds and clicking on a new article feels slow.
Can you send me the URL of a not working feed?

kuihdez

opml export

#25 Post by kuihdez »

the opml export is problematic.

many other softwares does not recognize the export and the unread item count is exported inside the name of the feed also (BUG)

kuihdez

#26 Post by kuihdez »

http://www.canardplus.com/feed.php

this feed is not working with nfreader

Gaijin

#27 Post by Gaijin »

kuihdez wrote:http://www.canardplus.com/feed.php

this feed is not working with nfreader
This feed doesn't work, because there is no XML-Tag. It has a "xmlu"-Tag, but I haven't found any information about this tag.
many other softwares does not recognize the export and the unread item count is exported inside the name of the feed also (BUG)
Thanks, I will fix this as soon as possible.

EDIT: I have checked an exported OPML file with the validator at http://validator.opml.org/ and it validates without any error...

Gaijin

NFReader 1.3.4

#28 Post by Gaijin »

NFReader was updated to v1.3.4

Product site / download: http://www.gaijin.at/dlnfreader.php

thoubugyou

#29 Post by thoubugyou »

Great app.

But I would like for it to give me the choice to open the links on Firefox.

I have setup Firefox as my default browser in windows but the app. insists in opening the links in Internet Explorer.

Gaijin

#30 Post by Gaijin »

thoubugyou wrote:But I would like for it to give me the choice to open the links on Firefox.

I have setup Firefox as my default browser in windows but the app. insists in opening the links in Internet Explorer.
In the current version, the links open with the default browser (e.g. Firefox).