SMF - Search my Files

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

SMF - Search my Files

#1 Post by guinness »

SMF – Search my Files
SMF is a file and file duplicate (md5,crc32 or sha1 driven) search tool.

It has excessive search filter capabilities and a SQLite driven result reporting tool, with which you can sub-filter the result set according to your needs.

How to extract: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch SMF.exe. Select 'Portable Install (data-dir located on the same drive as the program)' and Explorer ContextMenu Integration as 'Disabled'

http://www.funk.eu/smf/ - V1.1.3.9

TESTED: Portable

hdlbob

Re: SMF – Search my Files

#2 Post by hdlbob »

I downloaded this and ran it and I like it alot. The GUI and the feature list are amazing. No bugs found in the short time I've used it. I'm interested in reading other posts from more experienced search tool users comparing this to other products.

BTW, I put it in a directory named "apps/filetools/searchers/SMF-1.1.3.9" since I already have a "apps/filetools/searchers/searchmyfiles-1.4" directory for Nir Sofir's program and I didn't want to mix the two up as revisions occur.

guinness

Re: SMF – Search my Files

#3 Post by guinness »

webfork

Re: SMF - Search my Files

#4 Post by webfork »

I noticed that this is sort of a front end for a few other programs in the /Bin folder that can be run on their own:
  • HexEdit v1.03 - basic hex editor
  • RenameFiles v2.42, and includes some easy rename tools, which I think would cover some 90% of rename issues I've ever come across.
  • HJ Split v3.0 - file split/joiner (e.g. chop up large files for sending in parts over email or multiple disks)
  • FileTypesManager (FTM) - lets you add, edit, and remove file type associations (e.g. make DOC files opened by WordPad open with Abiword instead)
There's also something called Bitmap Recovery Tool, but I couldn't figure that one out. It indicates an ability to pull anything "bitmap" like out of a file, but I couldn't make much headway on that with my limited tests.