how does chreader actually work?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
stanmarsh

how does chreader actually work?

#1 Post by stanmarsh »

hello everyone

i found chreader here in portablefreeware and i think its very useful. i read the description and if i understood it correctly, it just compresses the files to a single file and you can browse it immediately in a web browser using a web server.

a. i like to ask how does it actually work in layman's term?,

b .is the compression different from zip/7z?

c. is there other program similar to chreader? can you make your own?

the problem for me is i can't decompress the files after compressing it to a single file. so i wont be able to update the files inside.

thanks!

cheers

guinness

Re: how does chreader actually work?

#2 Post by guinness »

I took a look at the source code and I think the best answer to your question is ask the author on "How it differs from 7-Zip!"

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

stanmarsh wrote:hello everyone
a. i like to ask how does it actually work in layman's term?,
As near as I can tell it downloads all the files (similar to HTTrack), stores it all in a huge zip file, then has a reader combined with a web server to send it to a local browser.

There are other programs that do this. The apache web server will serve gzip-compressed web pages to most modern Internet browsers. This program has the advantage of being a smaller program that is targeted to a specific kind of user and probably getting better compression and speed by using 7-zip's libraries.
stanmarsh wrote:the problem for me is i can't decompress the files after compressing it to a single file. so i wont be able to update the files inside.
That's definitely something probably only the author or someone familiar with the source can address.

stanmarsh

#4 Post by stanmarsh »

@guinness and webfork

thank you, i will try to contact the author.

@webfork

about apache, can i use xampp? run the apache server, and the browser can open archive files? is that right?

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Topic update: FTR, there's a Sourceforge repo for Mayakron's CHReader (https://chreader.sourceforge.io; last updated in 2016-07-27) that tags the program as "abandoned".

As recorded in the database entry (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=844), Softpedia's review and download are still available from https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... ader.shtml.

I retain a slightly modded version of v0.9.3 that seems to work better and is a mere 160KB packed with UPX.