BlueFish File Mirror

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

BlueFish File Mirror

#1 Post by I am Baas »

The BlueFish File Mirror is a freeware program which is monitoring a number of folders ( maximum of a hundred ) and copying the changes of this folders ( referring to the files and subfolders ) to other folders with the same name to another volume or to another root folder. With these features the BlueFish File Mirror is excellent for backup purposes as the changes to the files and folders are transfer the same time which changes took place.
Details and downlaod @ http://bluefish.chaosworld.gr/

Read bluefisheng.doc before starting BlueFish.exe.

addictivetips review @ http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... more-33383

Andrew Lee

Re: BlueFish File Mirror

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Happened to be looking for something like this. Thanks! Unicode support will make it even better.

Added to:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1998

Please vote!

@I am Baas: Just curious. Why didn't you add it to the database directly?

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Andrew Lee wrote:@I am Baas: Just curious. Why didn't you add it to the database directly?
The BlueFish File Mirror's Website does not specify system requirements and I am not able to test for portability on other Windows operating systems than XP. I asked before for help in testing software but hardly ever got response.

Until I get Win 7 (hopefully soon), I decided to just submit all the software that is portable (on XPSP3) to the forums.

Thanks for adding BlueFish File Mirror.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I do all my testing on XP SP3 and have never had a problem.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Website and program gone offline... posting the BlueFish File Mirror Manual

Code: Select all

General

The BlueFish File Mirror which for now one we will refer to as "program" is an application which can monitor a number of folders ( maximum of a hundred ) and copying the changes of this folders ( referring to the files and subfolders ) to other folders with the same name to another volume or to another root folder. (Warning! Only the actual files will transfer to the destination and not the changes on the attributes of the files)

For the program to work two other files must exists in the same folder as it. The first file is the config.ini file which saves the parameters of the program and the banlist.ban file which saves the files, folders and extensions that the program will exclude. Another file may resides in the same folder as the program, the config.exe file which is a utility for creating and change without mistakes the config.ini file.

Warning! The program must restarts every time the config.ini file is changing for the configuration to apply.

Configure the program with the Config.exe

As the config.exe opens it asks for a file to open ( the file must be a valid parameters file ). If a valid config.ini file exists then you can select it and then open it, if you want to create a new one then click at the cancel button.

Below is all the commands that the config.exe supports.

Select source folder(s)

You can select up to a hundred  folders for monitor, but if you exceed this value the config.exe will not inform you. The program on the other hand will do.

Note : You can select drives too and not only folders, but is not preferable. ( example c:\ )

Select Target Folder

You can select the destination folder. That folder will be receiving all the actions of the program.

Note : You can select a drive too and not only folders, but is not preferable. ( example d:\ )

Ignore List (for files/folders)

In this list you can insert all the files or folders you want to be exclude of the program operations. for the program this files will be invisible.

Ignore List (for extensions)

In this list you can insert all the extensions you want to be exclude of the program operations. for the program the files with this extensions will be invisible.

Note : The target folder can have less or equal files and folders from the source, but never more. That's mean that the files which must exclude is not invisible to the delete operations. If such a file deleted on the source folder that file will be deleted on the destination folder too.

Create Log File

Creates a log file with the name log.txt .

Keep logfile size to maximum

You can select any value from the dropdown box for the maximum size of the log file.

Run BlueFish At Startup

The program will run with the windows startup.

Simulation Mode

The program will run in simulation mode, that means that the program will monitor the folders but will not do any action.

Synch when BlueFish Startup

If this option is enabled then when the program starts an synchronization operation starts too.

Warning! While the synchronization runs the program is in simulation mode for avoiding file collisions.

Disable delete actions during synch

This option works only if the above option is enabled. If it is enabled then no delete operations occurs at the destination folder.

Warning! the deletions is disabled only at the synchronization and not at the regular operation of the program.

Enforce ignore list

This option make the program exclude the files, folders and extensions in the ignore lists.

Preserve folder structure

If this option is enabled then a folder with the name of the source is created in the destination folder.

example : Source folder : c:\test

-->a1.txt

-->a2.txt

Destination folder : D:\dest

with the Preserve folder structure enabled :

D:\dest

-->test

-->a1.txt

-->a2.txt

with the Preserve folder structure disabled :

D:\dest

-->a1.txt

-->a2.txt

Show Operations Info

The program creates a balloon tip with information about the programs actions.

Commands at the program menu.

With right click on the program icon the follow commands appears.

Show/Hide Window

Shows or hide the program window.

Normal/Simulation operation

Enables or disables the simulation mode.

Enable/Disable balloon tips

Enables or disables the balloon tips.

Start/Stop Synch

Starts or Stops the synchronization operation.

BlueFish Home Page

Opens a browser and shows the home page of BlueFish.

Close Program

Shows a leprechaun with a sack full of gold. I'm kidding, closes the program.

Colors that program icon can take and what is mean. 

Blue - The program waits for an action.

Red - The program is in the middle of an operation.

Light blue -the program is in simulation mode.

Green - The program is in the middle of a synchronization.

Gray - A fatal error occur. Most likely a destination disk or folder is not available any more.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20120719091 ... al/english