KeyTweak - remap your keyboard

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
kwhitefoot

KeyTweak - remap your keyboard

#1 Post by kwhitefoot »

[Moderator note: this is the primary KeyTweak program thread. View database entry]

---

Homepage: http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

This is a nice utility for remapping the keyboard. For instance you can put the Control key back where it belongs under your left little finger and get rid of the Caps lock key altogether.

Not sure how it should be installed but this seems to work:

- install normally
- copy the KeyTweak.exe to your portable device
- copy the pdf file as well if you want the manual
- uninstall from original location

I presume that Universal Extractor could do the same job.

nycjv321

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

sadly this app is not portable yea it uses the registry to remap keys but it also store app settings to the reg i use this app on a floppy to take care of settings I use a simple .reg file to delete the reg keys I forgot were ithe settings are in the registry i belive it is under "all users" all that is stored are mru's so i dont really think it affects portability to the norm user

dmg

Re: KeyTweak - remap your keyboard

#3 Post by dmg »

I have seen this app mentioned in two separate forum posts. I have looked at it, and I like it. I would like to have a definitive answer to the question of its portability. I would gladly test it myself but I cannot, do to both a lack of skill and access to a suitable computer.

Anyone care to give it a go?

I believe if it can be considered portable it would make a nice addition to the database.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable (Not Stealth)

It creates MRU entries as a way of reverting back in case of a problem. i.e. It will store information of what keys were changed. Obviously it would be ideal if this was stored in an .INI file, but I suppose the developer has done this as a way to retain the information on a per computer basis, especially if you move the software around, the INI file would be useless if you wanted to revert back to the standard key mapping.

Registry Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\KeyTweak

So I would add to TPFC. Because it doesn't write to the %APPDATA% folder and the Registry is a safety measure, plus there is no application of this kind in the database.

Extracted with UniExtract!

dmg

#5 Post by dmg »

Thank you guinness. I have added it to the database:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1916

dmg

KeyTweak - added

#6 Post by dmg »

A powerful application to remap your keyboard layout by modifying the registry.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1916

Please vote! 8)

webfork

Re: KeyTweak - added

#7 Post by webfork »

I thought this was a way to convert a regular keyboard into a Dvorak keyboard, but as it turns out there are some very good reasons. I updated the entry with information from the help file on the website.