WirelessKeyview

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
technicolordreamcoat

WirelessKeyview

#1 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic for WirelessKeyView; database entry at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1001]

WirelessKeyView recovers all wireless network keys (WEP/WPA) stored in your computer by the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' service of Windows XP. It allows you to easily save all keys to text/html/xml file, or copy a single key to the clipboard.
License: Freeware
Requirements: XP SP1 or greater, logged in as admin

just run .exe

Download/screenshot:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

USBman

WirelessKeyView 1.13

#3 Post by USBman »

An update to WirelessKeyView is out, version 1.13

Available at: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Enjoy.

Checker

WirelessKeyView V1.30

#4 Post by Checker »

Last edited by Checker on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:04 am, edited 7 times in total.

Checker

#5 Post by Checker »

It's now V1.27 :!:
So I changed my first posting accordingly.

Checker

WirelessKeyView V1.28

#6 Post by Checker »

It's now V1.28 :!:
I changed my first posting accordingly.

billon

Re: WirelessKeyview

#7 Post by billon »

From the changelog of the latest version 2.11:
The download zip files are now password-protected.
I also suspect that from now all other NirSoft password-oriented tools will be in password-protected archives.
Isn't that against TPFC rules?

webfork

Re: WirelessKeyview

#8 Post by webfork »

billon wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:04 pm I also suspect that from now all other NirSoft password-oriented tools will be in password-protected archives.
Isn't that against TPFC rules?
Good catch.

I have followed Nir's frustrations with false positives for over a decade, and PortableFreeware definitely has our fair share of frustrations on this topic. I understand and definitely sympathize but I strongly recommend against this for any freeware devs. Here's why:
  • Hazardous Materials - Most importantly, the vast majority of our visitors won't go anywhere near password-protected downloads. 99% of freeware works as a simple archive, but you find a lot of passwords in warez/malware. People will see the prompt and just delete the file, regardless of password. To me, password-enabled says "this isn't safe".
  • No Mirrors - I'd be surprised if any major mirror sites like softpedia, majorgeeks, snapfiles, etc. will host an encrypted download.
  • Temporary Fix - I suspect once you actually extract the files that you'll still see malware warnings from an over-paranoid scanner. On the browser/firewall side, major block lists are just as likely to stop an encrypted download as they are for a normal one.
  • Unidentified Flying Download - You can't check the file reputation on VirusTotal (and similar sites) without first opening the archive, and even then you're only checking the EXE file, when it's possible for other files to be malicious. Checking multiple files on services like VirusTotal is usually limited or difficult. This is because VirusTotal is part of Google's business of identifying files, not being your personal virus protection service. Unless hugely a hugely popular file, that site is unlikely to track the status of encrypted files.
As far as whether it's against the rules, I don't know. While I won't go near these and most site regulars feel the same, I don't recall a policy or case where this was ironed out.

---

EDIT: Two other notes:
  • You can't email the file without getting a warning. Multiple services (notably Gmail but I know they're not the only ones) will tag a file as being encrypted and urge caution. Most folks aren't going to open that.
  • I tested today (2020-01-17) and Softpedia is listing the password-protected download, though it's unclear how you'd decrypt it without going to the homepage and searching around for it (it's listed around 3/5s of the way down a very long home page).
Last edited by webfork on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.