Open++

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
freakazoid

Open++

#1 Post by freakazoid »

is it stealth? ;)

dmg

Re: Open++

#2 Post by dmg »

It looks like a very useful app. But I am wondering if it can really be considered portable. I know it CAN be used that way, but so can many installed apps, you just have to copy their settings and uninstall when you are done.

I am not trying say it is the same thing, just that this does not quite fit into my idea of "portable".

I certainly mean no offense. Am I alone in my opinion? :D

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

All ISO mounting apps work the same way:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=246

Judging by your criteria, should they be excluded from the DB as well?
is it stealth? ;)

dmg

#4 Post by dmg »

I take your point. I suppose part of my reasoning is that while ISO apps HAVE to work that way, the functions of this app could be done without integrating with the Windows context menu. In other words there are alternatives.

As you point out, there are many apps in the database which have similar requirements, and I DO NOT think they should be removed anymore than Open++. I was simply voicing a thought.

I will most likely start using Open++ myself, though not portably. :D

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

If there's a better alternative, I'd like to know as I've been searching for something like this for quite some time!

I might try out ChoiceEditor (as mentioned in this thread), but any other app suggestions are very welcome!
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Select the "Install / Uninstall" tab and click on "Install" to register the shell extension.
Registering shell extensions is writing to the registry, no? Is there a way to remove it once you're done using the program?

I rewrote the extract instructions to (hopefully) make it a bit to make it clearer.

freakazoid

#7 Post by freakazoid »

Yes, registering shell extensions require writing an entry into the registry. In Open++, you can use the "Uninstall" button located on the "Install / Uninstall" tab to remove the registry entry when you're finished using the program.

Thanks for editing the entry, webfork! It was late at night when I typed some of that stuff ;)
is it stealth? ;)

zak_711

#8 Post by zak_711 »

It would be a nice app if it behaves like PowerMenu.

freakazoid

#9 Post by freakazoid »

I've been using Sandboxie Portable a lot as of late and there's a technique that I want to try out with Open++:
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=47644#47644

That method uses a batch file in the "Send To" menu, but could probably be reworked to be used with Sandboxie Portable.

This is more of a bookmark for me to remind myself!
is it stealth? ;)