Avedesk

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
iMartyr

Avedesk

#1 Post by iMartyr »

www.avedesk.org has a great application that is an engine for desktop widgets! Pretty sure you can configure it to run portably by changing a line in the file settings_overrides

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

I modified the ini to make this portable, but got some rather ominous results from a Regshot scan...

Extremely funny, but I'm not sure if this is really a good idea for portability. Added a ton of reg keys and created the Avedesk folder in %appdata% (granted it was empty, but still seems sloppy to me) regardless of the settings in the .ini, so I'm a bit hesitant. Can anyone with multiple computers test this one out? In order to make it function portably, edit the settings_overrides.ini and uncomment the lines NoFileAssociations=true and NoMultipleUserAwareness=true. I'm pretty sure that should do it, I'm looking for your feedback.

As I previously stated, even with these settings registry entries will be created, but I'm more concerned about the actual portability of the application.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Seems to be portable. I ran it on a Win2K VM, moved it to my main WinXP machine, and it runs without a hitch, retaining all my previous entries.

A couple of observations:

- Requires GDIPLUS.DLL on Win2K.
- Creates empty folder in user profile folder.
- Registers a ton of components in the registry.

But portable nonetheless. Fluffy, you wanna add this yourself, or would you like me to do it?

Fluffy

#4 Post by Fluffy »

Added to the database, thanks!

nycjv321

#5 Post by nycjv321 »

doesnt it require directx 9.0?

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Nope, 'cos my stock Win2K VM doesn't have DirectX 9 installed, and it runs OK.

Fluffy

#7 Post by Fluffy »

My guess is that the author mentioned that it's DX9-only since it's easier to point folks to DX9 than to inform them about GDI+. That's just my theory though. It's a nice little app, but it doesn't like bblean one bit (layering seems all screwed up).

gp_hbk

#8 Post by gp_hbk »

Fluffy wrote:My guess is that the author mentioned that it's DX9-only since it's easier to point folks to DX9 than to inform them about GDI+. That's just my theory though. It's a nice little app, but it doesn't like bblean one bit (layering seems all screwed up).
No desklets application works right with BBLean

appsuser

#9 Post by appsuser »

I don't believe the AveDesk program is 100% portable. I'm certain it may work fine when used on different computers, but the problem I encountered was having it at different locations on the same computer...

When trying out a portable app I usually download it to a temp directory, run it, and if I like it I'll move it to my main portable application directory. This should be no problem if the app is really portable. However, when I did this with AveDesk I noticed it started acting "flaky". My status bar icon no longer appeared when I ran the program (it was just blank) and programs like ASuite were all of a sudden showing a constant presence in the taskbar (instead of just minimizing to an icon like normal). I looked into the registry to see if there was something being stored there and I found a *lot* of registry entries, many which had stored the value of the old application folder location (my temp directory).

I don't know how trivial these saved settings are, but I for one don't like it when a portable program starts acting flaky just because it's now located in a different location on the host computer, because drive letters aren't always constant for portable devices. BTW, I'm running Windows XP, and I did modify the .ini file as in the installation instructions.