DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: DropIt

#226 Post by Lupo73 »

Available translations:
>> English (included)
>> German (by fang-face)
>> Italian (by Lupo73)
>> Romanian (by joby_toss)

A big thanks to all translators!
Other translations are welcome... 10 minutes of your time could help several people!

guinness

#227 Post by guinness »

Oh brilliant! Already 3 translations :D

Lupo73

#228 Post by Lupo73 »

We have finally decide to publish a second release candidate, to allow users to test new minor improvements made.
We have also implemented an automatic update feature (available from About window), that will be activated in final release.

Reference post: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 885#p28885

guinness

#229 Post by guinness »

With regards to the new Update feature, would users want a feature that DropIt checks every week for a new update? Of course this feature could be disabled in the Options window. Let us know what you think!?

Lupo73

#230 Post by Lupo73 »

I have finally created also a new official Guide of DropIt:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropit/Guide.pdf

Report me your opinions about it and eventual advices/requests to improve it..

Lupo73

#231 Post by Lupo73 »

New release 1.0 is now available! You can find it at the page dedicated for the software or at the beginning of this discussion.

-.-

#232 Post by -.- »

with the new 1.0... I can't make a shortcut to the exe file in sendto. It seems to remove itself and when i add it manually it just opens icon but doesn't move/copy files. I'm using winxp sp3

Lupo73

#233 Post by Lupo73 »

In the new version you can integrate DropIt in SendTo menu from Options.. this integration is removed at software closing in Portable Version and kept in Installed Version..
if you would like to have the support also for a permanent integration in Portable Version, I can consider to add an additional option in next release.. report me your opinions ;)

Wolftrap

#234 Post by Wolftrap »

Greetings again,

just a quick question on the fly. 1.0 is working very well and stable, i am just curious as to whether there is something like a maximum number of rules that DropIt can handle?

I am now running DropIt with a *.ini file with 246 patterns containing 630 rules. However, for some rulesm DropIt cannot find an association despite it being included in the ini.

Thanks and cheers,
Wolftrap

guinness

#235 Post by guinness »

1.0 is working very well and stable.
I think DropIt turned out pretty well, different from V0.9.4 :D

I am not aware of any limit on the number of patterns, this could be a problem with AutoIt (this is the code it is written in.) Did you manually edit the INI file or use the Manage interface. Perhaps upload your INI File.

-.-

#236 Post by -.- »

Lupo73 wrote:In the new version you can integrate DropIt in SendTo menu from Options.. this integration is removed at software closing in Portable Version and kept in Installed Version..
if you would like to have the support also for a permanent integration in Portable Version, I can consider to add an additional option in next release.. report me your opinions ;)
yep, that'd be useful lol. I went back to old version for time being.

I also noticed 1.0 seems to move around on screen... I place it on bottom right, above taskbar, flush with right edge of screen. When it runs it moves to the left about 1 cm... no idea why but it happens everytime. I guess this new version doesn't like being in a corner? lol

guinness

#237 Post by guinness »

I also noticed 1.0 seems to move around on screen... I place it on bottom right, above taskbar, flush with right edge of screen. When it runs it moves to the left about 1 cm... no idea why but it happens everytime. I guess this new version doesn't like being in a corner? lol
This is because in the code I added a Function that checks if the Icon is within bounds of the users screen, incase a user goes from a Huge Screen to a Small Screen. Of course this can be disabled in a future release if you want?!

What you have reported -.- aren't bugs but merely requests to make the Portable Version more Installed friendly.
Why? The SendTo function in V0.9.4 doesn't even work, in this version it does.

Plus I think Lupo73 would agree with me that using V1.0 is alot better, because it will allow us to find problems alot easier in user functionality.

Firewrath

#238 Post by Firewrath »

guinness wrote:
Why? The SendTo function in V0.9.4 doesn't even work, in this version it does.

Plus I think Lupo73 would agree with me that using V1.0 is alot better, because it will allow us to find problems alot easier in user functionality.

well i have the 0.9.4 version with a shortcut in my sendto folder and its works just fine,
so since it does what i need it to do, i'll probably stick with it for now too,

really, a check should be put in that if theres already a shortcut in the sendto folder, that the portable one doesnt delete it,
besides being annoying on principle, (IE: a portable program making changes outside its folder and one i personally setup none the less,)
its also bad in such a way that say you have an installed version that you only ever use for 'sendto' and a portable version on your USB key,
so for whatever reason you plug your usb key use that version of DropIt and poof, there goes your shortcut from your installed version,
from what ive read you can just run the installed version again and itll recreate the shortcut,
but honestly, i haven't ran DropIt since i setup my sendto shortcut for it,

*hrm*
and this post sounds mean to me, but i dont mean it in that way,
its just an annoyance issue, :P
i do appreciate the work you guys have put into the program,

Lupo73

#239 Post by Lupo73 »

Ok, I'll try to improve it in next release ;)

this is the kind of comments I need.. better if in beta stage, but good as well to improve it in next revisions..

Lupo73

#240 Post by Lupo73 »

I thought this solution:
Case 1) sendto disabled -> in this session -> remove it in Options
Case 2) sendto disabled -> in previous session -> ignore it
Case 3) sendto enabled -> in Portably mode -> update it at each refresh and remove at DropIt exit
Case 4) sendto enabled -> in Permanently mode -> update it at each refresh

In this way:
- if the user create a sendto integration manually, in DropIt Options the integration is not active and the link created by user is untouched
- the user can decide to active sendto integration from DropIt Options and can decide if integrate it Permanently or Portably (in this second case sendto links will be removed at software closing)

Do you like it? Other ideas?