CIA controlled global encryption company for decades, says report

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
bitcoin

#1 Post by bitcoin »

this is why i dont really trust VPNs either, i just assume anything i post online is being read by everyone on the planet and can likely be traced back to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... nce-report

Swiss government orders inquiry after revelations Crypto AG was owned and operated by US and German intelligence

The Swiss government has ordered an inquiry into a global encryption company based in Zug following revelations it was owned and controlled for decades by US and German intelligence. Encryption weaknesses added to products sold by Crypto AG allowed the CIA and its German counterpart, the BND, to eavesdrop on adversaries and allies alike while earning million of dollars from the sales, according the Washington Post and the German public broadcaster ZDF, based on the agencies’ internal histories of the intelligence operation.

“It was the intelligence coup of the century,” the CIA report concluded. “Foreign governments were paying good money to the US and West Germany for the privilege of having their most secret communications read by at least two (and possibly as many as five or six) foreign countries.”

The mention of five or six countries is probably a reference to the Five Eyes electronic intelligence sharing agreement between the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
im also not surprised if the CIA, MI5 etc collects useful business information that they pass on to friends in the private sector that can take advantage of this info in the stock markets

billon

Re: CIA controlled global encryption company for decades, says report

#2 Post by billon »

:lol:

Midas

Re: CIA controlled global encryption company for decades, says report

#3 Post by Midas »

I read that, too. Let's just say that the bigger the honeypot, the larger the bee swarm... :man_farmer: